Crown Vic Throttle stuck!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2003, 17:03   #1 (permalink)
mooseheadluke

eek Crown Vic Throttle stuck!!!

Hey all. I have a nice 95 Crown Vic LX. This car has never caused me a single problem...until today. I was doing a U-turn and suddenly the throttle stuck wide open. Luckily I did not hit another car or a person, but it did cause some damage jumping the curb. Anyways, has anyone ever heard of the 4.6 doing this??? After it stopped I waited a few minutes and cautiously tried starting it again, and it worked fine. I will not be able to take a good look at the throttle and injection system until it gets out of the body shop, but I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of this happening to these cars before. A guy that was there on the street at the time said that he used to drive Crown Vic taxis and he had heard of some "module" malfunctioning...I dunno know though, he might be one of those guys that always has to have a story of his own if you know what I mean. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Luke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2003, 14:58   #2 (permalink)
modam63

I have a 88 CV with a 5.0 and fuel injection. The throttle stuck wide open once when my wife was driving it. The butterfly was stuck with gunk. Once I cleaned it up it worked fine. Not sure if the 4.6 is set up the same way. Hope this is some help.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:14   #3 (permalink)

Re: Crown Vic Throttle stuck!!!

Good advice "MODAM63".I would also check the motor mount's. If the left one is broken it can allow the engine to tilt, pulling on the throttle cable.
The cable itself could be sticking in the housing.
I've heard also that the bellcrank (the pivot that the pedal swing's on) can get dirty and jam up.
http://fordexp.freehomepage.com/photo3.html

Last edited by big1; 08-26-2003 at 06:18.
big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:43   #4 (permalink)

Re: Crown Vic Throttle stuck!!!

I had a 1992 CV (4.6L) that had a sticking throttle. It didn't stick wide-open, however - it was sticky in the closed or idle position. When stopping for lights, for example, I had to jab the throttle to overcome this, causing the car to lurch forward - became quite annoying. I removed the air intake snorkle from the throttle body, soaked a rag with WD40 and swabbed out the throttle body, throttle plate, and the plate's pivot points. Varnish/gum tends to build up in this area. Problem solved!
kshirilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71