Crown Victoria Slipping when driving ? Help please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2001, 14:36   #1 (permalink)

Crown Victoria Slipping when driving ? Help please

I was driving today and when you accelerate, it slips.

Has this happened to anyone else?
I have a 95 LX. with 88K.

It slips even worse with the OD off.
Any suggestions?
Thank you very much. Greg
GMACK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2001, 18:56   #2 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

Well, I hate to say it but is sounds like it's going out. I'm sure you checked the level already. I am currently rebuilding mine. It came out quite easily, with the exception of a few choice words about the two top tranny bolts. The dissassembly is quite easy. The transmissions is held together with snap rings. I bought my tranny kit from Checker auto parts for 279.00 yesterday. I had to order it. I plan to install a shift kit after I assemble the tranny since my pay day will be next week. I'm in no real hurry to put it back together. Don't let the tranny people scare you these are very easy to work on with out any special tool. If you do decide to do it your self there is a couple of tricks I learned along the way, like taking out the starter for one can be a huge pain. But I found a way around it.
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 05:49   #3 (permalink)
Multi Car Owner

Sounds like a rebld may be in order. Has the fluid been changed in it ever? IF you have the money get a tranny flush, see if that helps. A flush runs about 100 bucks. Rebuild is about 1400 or so i think.
Marqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 15:38   #4 (permalink)
Mod/Crown Vic Cruiser

i am dreading the day when my tranny goes....

Jonathan
Old 12-17-2001, 16:30   #5 (permalink)

Ah, it's not that bad. Unless you don't have a place and a good set of jack stands to pull it out. I'm still slacking to put mine back together. I got my rebuild kit on saturday and just haven't had the motivation to put it back together. I'm kinda waiting for the shift kit that way I can just slam it out in one day. It is suprisingly simplistic to work on. Minus the two bolts on top as I said before.
On another note to make matters worse I pulled the engine out and left the drivers window down on the car. I had to take the harness off the intake and hook the big bulk conector and the ring connector back up to get the power to run the window to role it up so I could put the car outside. I felt like a king when that worked. Some times I amaze myself. My wife thinks I'm just a pain in the you know what.
Old 12-17-2001, 17:32   #6 (permalink)
Mod/Crown Vic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally posted by tim87114
On another note to make matters worse I pulled the engine out and left the drivers window down on the car. I had to take the harness off the intake and hook the big bulk conector and the ring connector back up to get the power to run the window to role it up so I could put the car outside. I felt like a king when that worked. Some times I amaze myself. My wife thinks I'm just a pain in the you know what.
That is a Tim Taylor-Home Inprovement moment!!
hahaha :s2:

Jonathan
Old 12-17-2001, 20:52   #7 (permalink)

I agree totally!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71