crown victoria smoking and weird auto tranny slipping probs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 04:27   #1 (permalink)

crown victoria smoking and weird auto tranny slipping probs

okay to make it short

Test drove gf's 92 crown vic. Didn't start up at first.. cleaned the battery and jump started it. Runs pretty well around local doing 35. Drove on the freeway and 2 things happened.

1. pressed the accelerator on the free way doing 55 and the engine was revving but no acceleration. Felt like a clutch slip on a manual but its an auto. After about five seconds (slowed to around 50 or 45) the acceleration kicked in (happened about 4 times)

2. Smoke (black grey?) came from exhaust during the freeway test so we parked and popped the hood. It looked to be coming from the firewall passenger area.. maybe around that spark plug hole (closest to firewall passenger area)

Please help out... I have no idea what it could be... thanks again.
kenversusryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 23:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: crown victoria smoking and weird auto tranny slipping probs

Couple of thoughts. Transmission - my 94 GM had similar acceleration problems. Then one day I noticed a huge puddle under my car. Tranny fluid. Crawling around I found the leak was from the tranny fluid line going from the tranny to the radiator, which ran through the passenger side of the front crossmember / suspension. The lines were rubbed flat on the bottom and became paper thin with thousands of miles of rubbing on the steel. A pinhole leak was there fro some time, and when pushed, the leak would decrease pressure and loss of fluid, hence the slipping. Once I replaced this line and stopped leaking, the highway slippage stopped completely. Other possibilites: bad filter, loose bands, torgue converter, or just plain worn out.

Smoke: All bad. Check the collant resevoir and see what color the coolant is. If it is brown or unnaturally oily, blown head gasket. These engines will keep right on running with this condition if it is not too severe, but will use water and or oil excessively and be embarrasing to boot. WATCH the temp gauge like a hawk if ran this way. There are canned products to seal small leaks, research these, but I wouldn't expect much.

If not that, then there are other possibilities, but depending on the miles, I would suspect worn piston rings. Keep up with the oil consumption and you can squeeze many more miles out. Without more info or being there, this is the best I can do.

Good Luck
greenmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 13:35   #3 (permalink)

As suggested, check the transmission fluid. Not only check for proper level (too low or overfilled = not good), but actually look at the fluid and smell it. Should be quite red in colour, and it should NOT have a burned smell. If it's leaning towards a brownish colour - time to change the fluid & the transmission filter. If there's a burned smell, the clutch plates inside are done, and it's only a matter of time before the problem becomes worse than it is.

I'm not too clear on the smoke you describe. Is it coming directly out of the tailpipe, or is it originating from the engine bay area, and passing under the car? If the smoke is coming from the area you first mentioned (passenger firewall area), you could have a break in the exhaust somewhere, possibly even the manifold. However, you have another fault - you have BLACK smoke. Black smoke indicates an overly rich fuel mixture. Common problem for this is a bad oxygen sensor(s). If it's grey smoke that dissipates quickly (in other words, you're not creating a smoke screen behind you), all is well - this is normal in cooler temps this time of year. It'll usually clear up when the engine heats up if it's not very cold out.

Blue smoke out the tailpipe would indicate you're burning oil. This would mean excessive engine wear at the valve guides and/or piston rings. I don't think this is the case. The blue smoke also does not dissipate quickly - it lingers.

Pure white smoke out the tailpipe accompanied by the smell of antifreeze - again, a bad condition. Coolant is entering the combustion chamber, and doesn't burn. It gets ejected out the tailpipe as one big smoke-screen. People who drive behind you won't stay there for long. Fault for this condition is commonly a bad head gasket, but can also be a cracked cylinder head(s), or a crack in the cylinder of the block itself (uncommon unless you've really overheated the beast). Again, you didn't describe this condition, so rest easy...

Hope this helps.
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:56   #4 (permalink)
HO conversion guru

since its a 92, you first need to determine which transmission it is, AOD or AODE. AOD is mechanically operated via a TV cable from the throttle to the valve body, AODE is electronically controled via the PCM.

checking the trans fluid is important, it should be full and red with no unsual odor. if its not, try servicing the trans. pull the pan, replace the filter and drain the fluid out of the torque converter, then re-fill with fresh fluid.

if it is an AODE, you can check for stored transmission trouble codes in the PCM. early AODE's are notorious for faulty MLP sensors.
88grandmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71