Cruise Control-1996 CVPI - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2005, 19:27   #1 (permalink)
Diesel Dan

Cruise Control-1996 CVPI

I am new to this list, and I am in the need of some help. I have a '96 Police Interceptor on my hands that has a cruise control issue. I also have a '96 civvie with cruise control that works. I first followed the troubleshooting tree in the factory service manual which left me scratching my head. All checks came out fine. Swapped steering wheel switches, and speed control/servo unit. Problem still exists. All voltage/ohm reading are in spec with the manual, I have good continuity through the harness, and I adjusted the cable. If you press "Set" button, it holds speed for about 3 seconds and then drops off. Has anyone else had a problem similar? My next avenue to explore is replacing the clock spring assembly, but I don't want to start throwing parts at it just yet.

Any info would be very much appreciated,

Dan
USAdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 22:07   #2 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

Re: Cruise Control-1996 CVPI

It 's either in your switch on the steering wheel or the servo has a problem that only shows up under a load. If that is the case it will not show up on any diagnostic test.Switch out the servo first and then road test. If that does not work, change it back and do the same with the entire steering wheel.This should rule out any problems . Then swap out the cruise relay under the hood. It could be faulty or in the process of going out
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 22:45   #3 (permalink)
That guy

I had this prob in a 1982 crown vic, this lady that lives down the road pull in my drive way cause the cruise control would work then stop. The prob was that the brake light switch came loose, when you hit the brake the cruise turns off, so every bump or even a shivver from the motor set the brake switch off, I replced the switch and the cruise worked great. I'm not sure if its the same for a 96.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:37   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoder
It 's either in your switch on the steering wheel or the servo has a problem that only shows up under a load. If that is the case it will not show up on any diagnostic test.Switch out the servo first and then road test. If that does not work, change it back and do the same with the entire steering wheel.This should rule out any problems . Then swap out the cruise relay under the hood. It could be faulty or in the process of going out
I have all ready taken the "known good" switches and servo off of the other car and the problem remained the same. Relay...didn't even think about that. That will be next alongs with wheel swap.

Thanks
USAdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71