Cruising AOD Rebuild (which kit?) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 12:43   #1 (permalink)

Cruising AOD Rebuild (which kit?)

1. Performance Rebuild
  2. Stock Rebuild with shift kit

Which should I do? I'm building my wagon into a cruiser. I finished installing a "fresh" AOD, but it's no good, so I'm going to rebuild the one I removed. Should I go with a high performance rebuild kit or a stock rebuild kit with the mild shift kit I installed into the current transmission?

If I go performance, I'll likely end up with an Alto Red Eagle kit, including Kevlar overdrive and reverse bands. I like the idea of the performance, but I don't want a harsh ride when I'm trying to just cruise around. I'll switch to an A+ servo, since I may end up using the wagon for towing every now and then.

If I go stock rebuild with a shift kit, I'll do just that.

Any opinions or facts would be greatly appreciated.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005, 18:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cruising AOD Rebuild (which kit?)

What I would do is rebuild stock but not get a shift kit and just go for performance automatics Street/Strip Valve Body . because the Performance Automatic street/strip valve body is designed for everyday street driving and weekend trips to the drag strip. Automatic shifts in the drive position and will hold 1st and 2nd gear manually. Tire chirping shifts when you want it. This way you get the firmer shift for everyday driving and harsh shifts when you want it and this also prolongs the life of the transmission.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 19:08   #3 (permalink)

Yeah- driving it after work, I like the "crisp" shifts provided by the stock build with the mild shift kit I have. IF I just order a new valvebody, I'm going to be very careful with it, as I don't want to get something that'll have me running to 4,000 RPMs before every shift.

I've been wandering PA's site and haven't been able to navigate it well. I'll check it, again.

What they do with the valvebodies is basically add a shift kit... but what they do is permanent. I'm trying to find a company who sells a valvebody that will allow a 1-2-3-4 shifting with auto in 4. I don't like having to shift to 2/3 then bring it back down to first; it just feels tacky.

Lentech sells one, but they want WAY too much for it. Anyone have any leads? Thanks!

My Garage
Old 10-10-2005, 19:53   #4 (permalink)

I like Lentech's (www.lentechautomatics.com) valvebody that gives 1-2-3/4, instead of the stock 1-2/3-4, which is horrible for performance reasons.

TCI sells a great kit, part #438900 (you can look it up at www.tciauto.com). It's only $301 and includes everything, but I'm not sure how firm the shifts would be. That's a performance rebuild kit- the same thing they use to build their Street Fighter transmissions. Very good price for the equipment provided- I'm going to e-mail them and find out more details on the kit... but I prefer the idea on the Lentech valvebody and the 1-2-3/4.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

My Garage
Old 10-10-2005, 20:22   #5 (permalink)
That guy

Dang! I got to order me some lentechs! Now to get the money for it I have a TCI street rebuild in my 87 right now with a shift kit. It shifts so hard I feel like the tranny is going to snap in half. But thats what I told its suppose to feel like. It chirps the wheels good, even in second. But no wheels stands :D (real close though!)

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 21:44   #6 (permalink)

Okay. If you're serious, then the TCI is out. I'll most likely do a stock rebuild and just swap over the parts from the shift kit I already installed in my current valvebody and the new servo springs in the case, as well.

It has clean shifts around 4500+ RPM when I'm mildly into it, but shifting is hardly noticeable cruising around in Drive. I haven't laid into it hardcore because I have a header leak, so I'm losing serious torque and don't want to disappoint myself.

I actually have a lead on what I can do to fix my current transmission. If that works, I'm sticking with it as long as I can. I'll go ahead and build up the one I removed as back-up, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have a feeling I'll end up with the Lentech valvebody, though, since it does make available the 1-2-3/4 shifting. We'll see.

Now, to just find the money to order a rebuild kit...

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71