Customize Crown Victoria-2003 LX Sport - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 12:58   #1 (permalink)

Customize Crown Victoria-2003 LX Sport

Hi !

I am interested to get my beloved Ford Crown Victoria supped up for high performance (not drag racing though). My goal is to get a few more horsepowers added, update just a little bit exterior of the car. If anyone would like to forward me your suggestions, I would really appreciate useful advice !

Here my list of parts I may need so far:
1) Cold Air Intake
2) Change Exhaust Pipes (for Magnoflow etc.)
3) Change Rims for 19inch
4) Change headlights for Mercury Marauder Lights (they are nicer looking)
5) Change Front bumper for Marauder (with fog lights beneath)
6) Take the car to tuning shop for tuning the engine & transmission
7) Update interior, install one overhead TV for entertainment on back seat.

What else ?

Thanks !

ED
CV03-p71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 16:47   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Customize Crown Victoria-2003 LX Sport

I have NO experience in modifying and souping these cars but I'm sure someone here will have some ideas for you. You can also search past posts and find some there too. Welcome to the forums.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:56   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
I have NO experience in modifying and souping these cars but I'm sure someone here will have some ideas for you. You can also search past posts and find some there too. Welcome to the forums.
Thank You for your comment ! Yes, I see many dedicated LX Sport owners have done some excellent job customizing the car. I saw this forum posting and loved the job owner has done on this car. CVLXS: 2001 Crown Vic Sport --------------------- BLACKED OUT--------------------------- - Washington, Illinois
Old 08-31-2009, 07:45   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That does look good. I have an ex Sherrif car that I repainted white, removed the spotlight, put a console from a van and bought the alloy wheels. Other than that, it's still stock. It still has the P71 grille.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 20:07   #5 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

1) It already has that. Ford has been building them that way since the early 70s.
2) Stock P71 pipes are as good as can be had, and they're cheaper in JYs than having aftermarket parts shipped in.
3) Pointless, but whatever floats your boat.
4 & 5) Very popular mods - don't expect to find used parts.
6) Panther Performance Products Inc Home
7) Any local car stereo shop can help you.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 14:30   #6 (permalink)

Today I received by UPS my K&N Cold Air intake I purchased of ebay for my Crown Vic LX Sport. Tomorrow, smoked headlights and corner lights. Sometimes, at the end of the week I should have rims as well. After I wll install all the upgrades, the next project - getting the right set of good sounding mufflers. I was using youtube to view and listen how different mufflers sound on crown victoria. For my taste I liked Flowmaster super 40, Borla (universal), Dynomax Ultra Flo SS, and Magnaflow 44.
Old 09-08-2009, 14:42   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
1) It already has that. Ford has been building them that way since the early 70s.
2) Stock P71 pipes are as good as can be had, and they're cheaper in JYs than having aftermarket parts shipped in.
3) Pointless, but whatever floats your boat.
4 & 5) Very popular mods - don't expect to find used parts.
6) Panther Performance Products Inc Home
7) Any local car stereo shop can help you.
Thank You for your input ! As the time passes I am re-thinking my decisions.
Now, I no longer want to have 19" rims, instead I am going for 18" black (nothing particularly fancy) just Mustang Cobra rims. About the bumper and lights from Marauder, i decided that this would be unnecessary. Instead, I am leaving Crown Vic bumper, and will install small fog lights on it (i read on some forums that fog lights from Ford Focus - 03 will fit on Crown Viv bumper (chin), they are triangular shape.) Also, in regards to replacing exhaust pipes - I will try not to replace anything besides the mufflers (I do like raw but not too loud sound of the engine). I read that Ford in fact does use high quality steel to make auto parts, including exhaust with 10 years life span. While most aftermarket steel is only for 4-5 years. In regards to overhead TV........ will see about that, I am cautious about ruining the top/ceiling and drilling holes there. May be headrest is the place for LCD monitors (in any case that is last).
Old 09-14-2009, 12:57   #8 (permalink)

Hello All !

Pictures of the car before installations:
Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport 2003 pictures by craigsnamo - Photobucket

My project continues. Latest update:

1) Installed K & N Cold Air Intake. totally worth it.
Small performance increase, added a few more horse power (10 -13hp)
The engine sounds more aggressive, and acceleration is quicker.

2) Installed aftermarket tinted front head and corner lights, looks great !!! and makes the car look newer than it is. (this is personal preference, some people like stock lights, some put on marauder lights, some put on xeon lights (i hate them) I am in between)

2) The new black 18" rims (Cobra 03 SVT Style Mustang Wheels/Rims) arrived at last. After 2 weeks of negotiations with slacker-ebay-seller) He was slow and misleading at times (said things which were not true), it took him 2 weeks, 5 email and 4 calls just to send the freaking rims out. But the wait was totally worth it. They look much better than on the picture. 18" New Black WHEELS RIMS Ford MUSTANG COBRA 03 SVT :eBay Motors (item 200375892962 end time Aug-30-09 17:38:57 PDT)

3) Ordered new tires from Discount Tire Direct (good people !)
a set of 4 tires 235/50/18 BFGoodrich BFG KDWS
I was going back and forth whether I should get staged tires front
235/50/18 and rear 245/55/18 but came to conclusion, that with such set, I can't rotate them. Instead I ordered all 4 of the same size. (on my crown vic currently my tires lasted for more than 50K and still have another 10-15K to go I rotate them every oil change).

Next thing for me is to mount the new tires on the rims, install on my crown vic and do wheel alignment. While the car will be on the lift, I will measure my mufflers size and check out how to replace them with Borla mufflers (also, I would need to cut resonators from exhaust).

After all of upgrades will be done, planning to take the car to Dyno shop for tuning.

What else can I do ????? Ideas and thoughts are welcome !

Thanks guys !
Old 09-17-2009, 06:57   #9 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV03-p71 View Post
...added a few more horse power (10 -13hp)
Where are your before & after dyno sheets?
Quote:
...also, I would need to cut resonators from exhaust).
No, you don't need to. There's nothing wrong with the stock mufflers or resonators.
Quote:
...What else can I do ?????
Are you just looking for ways to waste time, money, & effort?
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:59   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Where are your before & after dyno sheets?No, you don't need to. There's nothing wrong with the stock mufflers or resonators.Are you just looking for ways to waste time, money, & effort?
Hi Steve83 !

Dyno is ahead for me, I want to go for tuning after I will install mufflers.

In regards to why am I doing modifications, the simple answer is that I enjoy spending time fixing up the car, also, giving me a chance to educate and train myself about my vehicle.

Certainly, I do not have a goal to make my crown vic with 700HP or a race car honestly speaking. Just doing stuff for fun.

The latest update, I installed new 18 x 9" black rims and new BFGoodirch KDWS 235/50/18 tires.

About this upgrade:
The new tires are great, very quiet, gripping the road very comfortably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71

Related Reading: Customize Crown Victoria-2003 LX Sport