Cutting out WOT and other symptoms - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 11:08   #1 (permalink)

Cutting out WOT and other symptoms

Haven't had much to complain about on this low mileage (34K) 2001 MGM LS. but I did notice recently that it may be bucking slightly during steady cruise,very lightly and occasionally.
Then more recently I noticed in the AM on start-up I had to give it a slight amount of gas peddle to get a smooth idle.
Then yesterday I floored it just for fun from a stop and it was cutting out or losing power badly. Run-off-ruuuuuun-offffff-ruunnnnn etc. I don't think it was completely cutting off but it could have been numerous cylinders.

I have recently replaced the fuel filter (on schedule at 30K) with a Fram. Also the air filter. Everything else is original.

No CEL displayed.

I started it up just now to see if there was some sort of delayed CEL or something and it started right up from 57 degrees (F) with only a few shudders in the first 30 seconds or so then a nice smooth idle.

What should I be checking? Auto Zone won't run codes in Calif BTW, some legal problem. Much Thanks- Brian

----Update: Drove it around today city traffic and it occasionally has a single miss on acceleration or while steady (a little bucking) but acceleration pretty good. Once I stomped it while going maybe 35 and there was no change for about 1 1/2 seconds then it reacted and finally downshifted. Thanks-Brian---

Last edited by NoLeaks2001; 01-16-2012 at 15:26. Reason: added info
NoLeaks2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 20:11   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Cutting out WOT and other symptoms

That sounds like it could have water around the plug, plug boot cracked or a bad coil.
Old 01-18-2012, 14:04   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Bert. I was wondering about the lack of a CEL with this. Today I took it out and on hard acceleration it felt like at least 1/2 the cylinders were cutting out. Why wouldn't this trigger a light. Also I'm wondering if this is ruining my Cat Converter and if maybe I should not be driving it like this. Thanks-Brian
Old 01-18-2012, 17:11   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It often takes a while to trigger the light. I'd fix it before running it much.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:51   #5 (permalink)

Would it help to purchase a scan tool and learn to use it? I really don't know where to start on this and I hate throwing parts at a problem.

One source suggested the "DPFE" was bad. Another suggested the IAC. Yet another guy on a different forum said "clean the MAF" check the TPS etc.

Would a scan tool be of any use if no Check Engine light has come on?

Thanks- Brian
Old 01-19-2012, 07:49   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The coils have been known to go out sometimes. On our fleet, we usually change them all due to them being Police vehicles. On mine, I had a similar problem and had one coil that I replaced one of mine and when the problem was still there, I used the one I removed to install in another position. It took 3 replacements and I had the bad one out. A scan tool can show it if it's an expensive one but you have to be looking at it when the problem occurs. I had to watch the road. It was intermittant. and not a steady miss.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:03   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Bert. I just took it to a shop and they drovr it around and noticed the stumble and a few misses but naturally acceleration was perfect (for me earlier I was wondering if it would even make it onto the freeway it was cutting out so bad).
Anyway they scanned it and there were no codes and no pending codes.
The shop owner told me to drive it until a CEL comes on otherwise they'd have to spend hours checking everything (which I can't afford). They said the coils were $95 each (!!).- Brian
Old 01-19-2012, 15:46   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You could get one coil and keep switching it until it runs right as I mentioned.
Old 01-19-2012, 19:34   #9 (permalink)

I think that's exactly what I'm going to do if I don't get a CEL in the near future. Much Thanks- Brian
Old 01-20-2012, 07:49   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If it ends up not helping, you'll have a coil for replacing one later. They can go out. I'd almost bet that that's what it is though.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71