CVPI Newbie - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08   #1 (permalink)

CVPI Newbie

Hello World,

I just joined the forums, having migrated over from ToyotaNation after purchasing my 2008 CV Interceptor. I've always wanted one of these cars, not for any particular reason. I just think they're cool.

I don't have any pictures of it yet, but I will, soon enough. I really just wanted to share something that I didn't see anywhere else on the forums.

Emergency Vehicle Lights | Police Car Equipment | Whelen | FleetSafety.com

They sell utility equipment specifically for any given LE vehicle. My personal opinion, which seems to be shared by many on this and other forums: steer clear of the light assemblies. But the interior consoles, and the Rhino bars are what caught my eye. Just wanted to share.

I love the site!
Teslacrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 21:47   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: CVPI Newbie

They are cool, but I hope that you have not purchased your ride for the wrong reasons. Check your state's vehicle code. It will be applied to the letter if you cross the line.

Most coppers have worked hard to get through their respective police academy and have more than earned the right to drive police cars every watch by meeting challenges on mean streets that most people would run from. They will take exception to a wannabe.

Also consider what you would do when you come under fire by a couple of "gang bangers" with AK's who mistake you for the heat. Yes, it happens on the streets, not just in the movies.

Enjoy your car for it's performance, versatility and durability at a reasonable price, but don't try to look like a cop by adding police equipment to your car.
Bajarider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:26   #3 (permalink)

Not that I need have a dog to transport (although I do have a retriever to bark out for me ), but I am a courier. Anyone know if I can fit a dog transporter into a 2005 CV non Police vehicle. Flat floor to ceiling space would make these cars great courier cars. I would probably try the bone yard for a used one though.

Just ran out to my car, just to imagine it having one, and it would be killer!
ViMatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:38   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

I think you probably know the answer to your own question, but if you haven't yet seen a CV K9 unit, the answer is yes.

Cops are always good for a good scam. We frequently attended "training days" at Camp Pendleton. A CV K-9 unit was parked nearby. Most of the guys couldn't resist looking at the doggie in the CV, but couldn't see the dog from where we were standing around drinking coffee, and yes, eating doughnuts. Several of us walked up to the car to investigate. When we got close enough to see inside, we saw the dog in the K-9 cage.

The "ferocious" looking Chihuahua was still asleep! It was a family pet who apparently was the alpha dog when the real K9 dog, a German Shepard, was present.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:02   #5 (permalink)

Wow, I just googled for them. They are expensive as all get out, and have many options, like remote control door open and being bullet proof. I never would've thought! But I'm going to look at my local Gov. auton place. who knows I may find a 2000 CV with one ready to go.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I've installed those cages and remote door openers. Quite involved for the opener.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:11   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

Could do with one of those cages for the McNugget woman the next time she go to the drive through , especially with the remote opener .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:21   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarider View Post
They are cool, but I hope that you have not purchased your ride for the wrong reasons. Check your state's vehicle code. It will be applied to the letter if you cross the line.

Most coppers have worked hard to get through their respective police academy and have more than earned the right to drive police cars every watch by meeting challenges on mean streets that most people would run from. They will take exception to a wannabe.

Also consider what you would do when you come under fire by a couple of "gang bangers" with AK's who mistake you for the heat. Yes, it happens on the streets, not just in the movies.

Enjoy your car for it's performance, versatility and durability at a reasonable price, but don't try to look like a cop by adding police equipment to your car.

I've spoken with cops in multiple New England states. They only really care about the light assemblies, insofar as not having them. That and dash holsters.

I have always wanted one of these cars. But I've always just liked the stance. I'm not interested in looking like a cop. And I don't go out of my way to try and intimidate people on the highway. If they want to scoot out of my way just to be safe, that's their decision. But I don't try and influence it. And I've seen one too many people get screwed by insurance companies over deer collisions not to put a little something over my bumper.

Regarding gang hits, I don't plan on driving through the MA south shore anytime soon, and I just don't go into RI; same goes for Southie and THAT side of Manchester.

After all of that, you've still given me something to think about.
Teslacrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 13:11   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

I too like these cars for what they are, and I hope that is why most of us are on this forum. Welcome!

Regarding gang hits, I've been there more than once, and come out lucky. But I have spent much of my life in the ghetto and barrio areas of a major city, after a tour in Vietnam during the '68 Tet offensive. Very lucky! Hopefully you need not worry, but the world just seems to be getting crazier and crazier! So be careful driving any CV that might be mistaken for a police car, gang members are not known for their intellect.

Most "wannabe" cases are decided by case law, not codified law. The bottom line is usually intent and overall appearance, but flashing lights are usually over the line. Most departments have better things to do anyway, so just don't draw attention.

I have large breed dogs. A pick up with camper shell or an SUV seem to suit them better than a car, and trucks are lot easier to clean out, but then it's kind of extravagant to buy a truck just to haul dogs around in.
Old 09-10-2013, 14:45   #10 (permalink)

I drive my 05 CV on 95 and people often get out of my way, and I don't even tailgate them! Several months ago a lane swopper hit his brakes and moved over to the slow lane, almost causing an accident. What's up with these idiots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71