Differences between P71 and LX Sport? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 20:58   #1 (permalink)

Differences between P71 and LX Sport?

Hi, this is my brand new first thread started here.

My story:

I had a '95 Caprice 9C1 until I killed a phone pole 6 weeks ago. It was my pride and joy, but Wifey hated it. So anyway, after soul searching, I decided to get out of the B-Body Chevy until they build a new one.

I ended up with a 2003 LX Sport that I got for $8800. It has 63k and was obviously some old man's daily driver. (The dings tell the tale. they are few but specific)

Now I find that I really like the car, but REALLY miss the power. And the aftermarket seems to be non-existent for this car.

So what to do?

Are there simple things that the P71 has that may help? I know they have the same engine, but what are the performance differences?

Other than the engine, what has the Marauder got different?

I searched first, but was not lucky....

Thanks in advance.
liki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 06:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: Differences between P71 and LX Sport?

Liki,

The P71 does have the same basic engine as your CV with a few mods including a computer chip tune to increase horse power. The suspension is also upgraded for better handling. The Marauder is basically a CV Sport with P71 suspension, 18 inch wheels, and Mustang Cobra engine but there is a lot more to the package than I'll go into here. Your best bet would be to search for a computer chip tune that will "wake up" your 2V 4.6L. I know they are out there but do not know any specifics since I own a Marauder and it is already more powerful than the P71. For more info on the Marauder you can go to MercuryMarauder.net and look around or post questions if you like. Good luck. I missed out on a CV Sport just before I found my Marauder. They are really nice looking cars.
lwblumjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:48   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwblumjr
Liki,

The P71 does have the same basic engine as your CV with a few mods including a computer chip tune to increase horse power.
There's no difference in HP between a civi car and a P71 except that P71s all get dual exhaust, which is good for ~10 hp. The only difference in the computers is that the P71 bumps up the shift points a little bit so the engine can use a little more of its RPM capability under WOT. But that doesn't mean HP is boosted by it...just that the engine can use more of the power it already has.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:58   #4 (permalink)

Nathan in MN is right. There is no difference in the civilian and P71 engine. The dual exhaust is also available on the civilian models and liki's LX Sport should have come with dual exhaust from the factory.

There are some mods you can do to increase performance...

- Cold Air intake. Adds more noise than power. Maybe a 3-4hp gain if you're lucky.
- New computer program. A lot of CV owners do this and seem happy with it for the most part. Maybe adds 10hp (and potentially requires the use of premium fuel).
- Larger throttle body and Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. A number of people adapt the Maruader MAF and airbox. It does require re-programming of your computer. Would add about 11hp to your 2003...maybe more combined with other computer mods.
- Under drive pulleys (personally, I'm not a big fan of these).
- Aftermarket exhaust with hi-flo catalytic converters. Fairly expensive and maybe adds 10-12hp. It also moves the peak torque into a higher RPM range potentially making the car feel slower off the line.
- For 2000 and older models you can upgrade to a PI intake and even PI heads and cams. Your 2003 LX already has these.
- Supercharger from Allen Engineering. Mucho expensive but it definitely makes your car faster :)
sheebeehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:13   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheebeehuh
- New computer program. A lot of CV owners do this and seem happy with it for the most part. Maybe adds 10hp (and potentially requires the use of premium fuel).
Does that just bump up ignition timing, or what?

Quote:
- Under drive pulleys (personally, I'm not a big fan of these).
I can't see getting much gain from those anyway...seems to me like the only reason for using them is if you're spinning the engine significantly faster than stock and want to do it to protect the accessories.

Quote:
- Aftermarket exhaust with hi-flo catalytic converters. Fairly expensive and maybe adds 10-12hp. It also moves the peak torque into a higher RPM range potentially making the car feel slower off the line.
Whether it moves the torque peak up or not is really dependent upon how you size the exhaust system. This thread does an excellent job of explaining it:
The Official GMN Exhaust Size Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:35   #6 (permalink)

A computer program change can modify timing/advance, shift points, and fuel curves. In general, the main change is in spark advance.

The sizing of the exhaust is indeed related to the torque curve as you say. Dual 3" exhaust w/ 3" hi-flow cats will make your car feel slower unless you do some other mods to take advantage of it. It will also make for some unbearable interior drone :)

The stupid ricers that put the giant fart cans on the back of their beat-up Honda Civics are actually slowing their cars down. The smaller displacement engines are especially sensitive to having too little back pressure. It moves the peak torque way up the RPM range.
sheebeehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 14:14   #7 (permalink)

Well, yeah, dual 3" exhaust would be WAY too big. I'm told for the 4.6 anything over about 2" duals is getting too big.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71