Dual exhaust for Crown Vic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 17:24   #1 (permalink)

Dual exhaust for Crown Vic

The crown vic may not perform as well as a mustang, but it's what I have, and it still has the 4.6L modular V8 engine. I am referring to a 1997 Crown Victoria LX in asking my questions. I am looking for a simple way to upgrade to a dual exhaust. Let me specify; a cat-back dual exhaust. I would do a true dual exhaust but I have low funds and replaced the cat just a couple years back. I know many of the Crown Vics came with a dual exhaust stock. If I could find something like that used, or a new kit that would fit my car, that would be great. Just looking for about a 20hp gain (The cars that came stock with a dual exhaust in 1997 had about 20 more horsepower.), and better sound. If I find a used exhaust I will add flowmaster mufflers, simply for the sound. If I find a kit that includes everything, even better. I have looked all around and havn't been able to find what I'm looking for. Hopefully someone here can help.

Also, if anyone wants to throw out an idea for a new intake, I would certainly like to look at it. I've been looking at options and I think I just want to remove the box and put in a different filter setup at the end of it; cheap and a slight performance increase. I do not want to just put a conical filter on there, however, because it will be pulling hot air straight out of the engine bay. In the summer, especially down south where I live, I believe that setup may actually hurt performance. If you have any ideas please share.

Thanks
stealth13777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 19:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Dual exhaust for Crown Vic

your local auto zone or napa should have a dual exhaust kit for your car pretty cheap you just have to pick a set of mufflers because they do not have a good selection.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 18:12   #3 (permalink)

if you still have the factory exhaust, just get a ford or aftermarket h-pipe and the drivers side exhaust and bolt it right up.the passenger side exhaust is the same part for duel or single exhaust
lostinfordland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 19:58   #4 (permalink)

Perfect. I found the h-pipe, also looked at x-pipes, and I think the h-pipe is the best for me, plus the price is great. I will have to look under my car to make sure it does not have a resonator at the end of the tail pipe (the police versions didn't have it, not sure about civilian, and I don't want it).. if it does, I will buy two new tail pipes, if it doesn't, then I save $30 and only have to buy one. I am also going to add two Flowtech Afterburner mufflers, I think. Any opinions on those or other mufflers would be great (keep the price under $50 apiece). I do not want it to be really loud, just a noticable, good sound when I rev the engine. At idle it does not need to make a whole lot of noise at all; while I wouldn't mind hearing it a little, I do not need it to rumble when I am just sitting in traffic.. which I do a lot. I did some research on the Flowtechs, and the price is right, plus they actually seem like they may help performance a little (mufflers do not often do a whole lot for performance, as far as I understand). The only issue is I'm worried about the noise level; anyone know the decible level of the stock exhaust system, dual or single? If I knew that it would give me a good idea of how loud I want the new exhaust to be.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 19:09   #5 (permalink)

Change that, I think I am going with Hooker Maxflows. Anyone know exactly which ones would fit my car? I believe it's the 2-1/2in center to offset (might be offset to center.. reversable so it doesnt matter).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71