EEC-IV power relay, 1985 Grand Marquis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 11:04   #1 (permalink)

EEC-IV power relay, 1985 Grand Marquis

How do you test the EEC-IV power relay? I measured the resistance across the two smaller terminals and got a much different reading than when I did the same thing to the fuel pump relay. Also, I think I got different readings when I reversed the polarity. Is it just a standard relay or are there additional electronics inside?
richardhufford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 11:11   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: EEC-IV power relay, 1985 Grand Marquis

Some Ford relays have a small resistor or a diode between the trigger connections. They usually have a schematic on the relay for reference.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:57   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I decided to buy a new relay from my NAPA dealer, and this one has a schematic on it that just shows a coil. My ohmmeter measures about 70 ohms on this new relay. The original relay says Ford on it, and the resistance is more like 100K ohms one way, but I have to push really hard against the terminals. If I reverse the leads, the circuit appears to be open. The new relay did not make the car run any better, but it doesn't appear to have made anything worse, either. Should I use the new relay? I don't think the old one is in very good shape, but the electrical characteristics are so radically different, I'm wondering if I bought the right relay.
Old 06-04-2011, 21:02   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If it appears open one way, it must have a diode in the coil circuit. That's to keep the currant from spiking back. I'd use the old one. What are you trying to fix?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:47   #5 (permalink)

The engine just cuts off a lot (dies and restarts?). At 55, it just feels really rough. Normally, I don't have to pull over, but when it's at its worst it will lose about 15 mph before it restarts. It also dies at stoplights, sometimes but not very often. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the behavior was much like what happens if I turn the ignition key off and then back on, except that I can't switch it on and off as fast as the car can. Also, when I turn the ignition off and on, the cruise control turns off, but when the engine dies and restarts on its own, the cruise control continues to work. We've replaced the TFI ignition module, coil, oxygen sensor, the EEC-IV power relay and a whole lot of brittle vacuum lines. I'm tempted to take out the wiring harness and spread it out and look for bad wires. I'm also tempted to try replacing the EEC-IV.
Also, the diagnostics report problems with the EGR. I read somewhere that the EEC-IV automatically disables the EGR if it isn't working, so I haven't gotten very serious about looking into that yet.
Also, replacing the coil really helped out a lot. Before we did that, the car wouldn't restart from time to time. All the other changes haven't really made any difference.
Any ideas?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:02   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Try this and see what you get. Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test
Old 06-06-2011, 21:42   #7 (permalink)

I ran a self-test, but not with the wires hooked up as in the fordfuelinjection.com link that you gave me. That site said to ground the Self-Test In plug and look at the Check Engine light. That didn't work for me, and my understanding is that the older cars with EEC-IV don't show the codes using the Check Engine light. I hooked the wires up as shown at http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt6.pdf . The codes returned were 23 and 31. The ones in memory were 14, 18, and 63. I was going to try the test with the engine running, but the engine died and wouldn't restart.
Here's how I interpret the codes:
Codes 23 and 63 indicate that the TPS isn't working correctly. A few months ago, I tried running the car with the TPS unplugged, and it ran about the same with some pinging on accelleration. I should probably replace the TPS, but I don't think that it is my primary problem.
Code 31 is the EGR valve position sensor. I read somewhere that the EEC-IV automatically disables the EGR and the engine still runs well, so again, I should replace that sensor, but it's probably not my primary problem.
Codes 14 and 18 indicate erratic ignition pulses, and I think this may be my problem. The Tomco Techtip specifically mentions secondary ignition arcing for code 14, so should I try replacing the distributor cap and spark plug wires?
Is my reasoning correct?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:31   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I think your reasoning is probably on track. Not being there to see it first hand isn't easy to say. There were some problems with the distributors on them. Been awhile but we had some TFI and pickup coil problems. Here's some useful information too. http://gt350mustang.com/eec.htm
Old 06-07-2011, 08:21   #9 (permalink)

Re: EEC-IV power relay, 1985 Grand Marquis dies and restarts

Thank you very much, Bert. I'll take a look at that article. I think I'll go ahead and replace the distributor cap and spark plug wires, because it's easy and I should have done that when we bought the car. Then I might try putting our old TFI module back on.
Also, I thought I'd mention that the car wouldn't start about a half-hour after it died during the test, but it did start about 4 hours later. I'll try doing the test with the engine running today.
Old 06-07-2011, 20:25   #10 (permalink)

The self-test with engine running (KOER) showed codes 31 and 33. These are both EGR related, so I'm assuming I can ignore them until I've got the ignition problems solved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71