Egr - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 12:20   #1 (permalink)
94 Marquis

Egr

The imfamous EGR valve strikes again. I have a 1994 Grand Marquis and I got my car diagnosed when the first engine light came on. I was told it was an EGR problem, having no idea what it was, I let it go. Nothing seems to be happening right now, so thats good but I was told it will affect the performance later, don't know how true that is.

Anyways, they wanted to charge me 325 to fix it, so I told them to shove it. Is it worth getting fixed? And how much should it cost me?

Can someone please tell me what the hell it does anyways and does it affect gas milage?

Thanks, any feedback will be appreciated!
SiZzOuRcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2005, 19:27   #2 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

Re: Egr

Yes it will effect your mileage the longer it continues. The EGR is located behind the passenger side valve cover . It is round and has rubber tubes running to it with a pipe running to the exhaust pipe. It usually cost about $50 bucks at autozone. While it is a little difficult to change,$325 is a GREAT BIG RIPOFF. I hope this helps.Get a Haynes manuel while your at Autozone, they're about $15 or so and it will help you to learn about your car so you won't get screwed.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 13:52   #3 (permalink)
94 Marquis

I bought the valve and I bought the manual, $51 total. Not bad, but I can't get to the part without a hydrolic lift so I can stand underneath it. So it was pointless, but hey now all I have to do is get it installed. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2005, 15:12   #4 (permalink)
That guy

The EGR is at the bottom of the engine? What engine do you have?

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 17:12   #5 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

While the EGR is not easy to get to from the top, it is possible. You can get to it easier from the bottom , but , you don't have to use a lift. Just use a set of ramps or jackstands and lay on the ground on a piece of cardboard or old piece of carpet. Then and only then can you truely consider yourself a shade tree mechanic. After that, you can brag on how you suffered through all the cold and heat to get it fixed.It is very gratifying after you do this,especially, if it fixes the problem. I had to do mine about a year ago. This week I replaced the swaybar frame bushings and endlinks. Not only did I save money, but , I got bragging rights too!!! Good Luck and have fun.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:36   #6 (permalink)
94 Marquis

I tried to change it, i have jack stands but they didnt seem helpful. Im 6'2 220lbs, so im not really on the smaller side, so it was extremely difficult to even get my hand in that space. Im just going to pay someone $60 for an hours work or something.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:40   #7 (permalink)
94 Marquis

I got a 4.6, its right at the top of the engine, u can touch it and everything, but the only way to replace it is from the bottom. Ford, I swear, they make some sick cars, but they make things so difficult. Another stupid example is the distributor caps. WHY HAVE TWO OF THEM?!?! I don't understand that and why don't they just line up in order, it makes no sense to me at all.

Oh I meeant to ask, I just got a full exhause system done on the marquis, no cats, just straight pipes to two flows and them some 3 1/2 tips. Im blowing some major smoke in netreul, reverse, starting, its really bad. Any ideas on how to fix that without replacing the rings?
Old 07-21-2005, 14:28   #8 (permalink)
That guy

As for having 2 caps, each on holds 40,000 volts, it fire from on cap then the other to allow more time for volt recovery and cool down thus a hotter spark. And as for fireing order, you have to balance the explosion, when one fire, one needs to be oppisite of it to eqaul the force, thus a smooth ride. It it went in line it would shake like heck and kill performance. A for your smoke, white is antifreeze, blue is oil, black is lean fuel. Did you replace the O2 sensors and make sure you didn't crack the heads when removing the header bolts (if you put headers or messed with the exhaust manifolds).

On the other side. I'm 310 pounds, I'm a hefty guy at 6' 2" and I've done 2 EGRs on 4.6s, a T-bird and mustang both 95s. Its not that hard, its just the matter of having enough 3/8s extensions and removing some lines and wires. I used floor jacks and stand, raised the car about 8 inches off the ground, make sure the jacks are in the right place and not slipping.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:52   #9 (permalink)
94 Marquis

I know about how it needs to fire on each side to balance, but one side of wires can go to the same side and it still fire in opposite order. But thats just an arguement waiting to happen and its just tooo confusing, so Ill drop it. Hehe.

Anyways, never touched the bolts on the heads and the 02 sensors I don't think have been messed with, but I should get checked out just in case. Yea, Im not mechanically inclined and knowing me I would f something up. When I installed my plugs, I pulled the exit radiator hose off while the plugs were out and the hose dumped radiator fluid into my rear cylinder. That was a bad experience, but it turned out ok.

Thanks for the feedback btw.
Old 07-22-2005, 14:40   #10 (permalink)
That guy

Did you flush the cylender and let it dry for a few hours befor starting? Antifreeze will destroy your rings and cylender, same with water, and any brake fluid. Residue won't hurt, but wet anti freeze is the worst thing to do. Also, did you make sure not to crack the porslin (sorry if I mispelled that)? I did a plug job on the 95 T-bird after the egr and found it real easy to crack them even with a spark plug socket, I loosened my grip on the wrench.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71