EGR or Cat. converter(s)? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2004, 21:10   #1 (permalink)

EGR or Cat. converter(s)?

Hello,
I have a 94 crown vic w/100,000 miles. It recently started hesitating/stumbling on light acceleration particularly uphill. When I bought it 6000 miles ago it had a code for the egr posistion sensor. The car ran perfect but the eng light came on alot and my mileage was 19-20 highway so I swapped it (pfe sensor) with a known good sensor for trouble shooting.

It then gave a code for the valve not opening all the way and the light came on less. It still ran like a brand new engine.

Since it started hesitating I've replaced the air and fuel filters. The exhaust smells rich to me. With the (new sensor) I get a 332 and 337 code.

With the old I get a sensor out of limit code during the key on eng off but no running codes.

The vac to the evr is good. (I swapped this with a known good as well to no effect). The vac to the egr valve(from the evr) briefly rises to 15 or so during the key on eng off test. When I apply vac to the egr valve with the engine running the rpm changes and the diaphram hold vacuum.

There is a pulsating vac at the pfe sensor but it's not much.

It seems like all the components are working... but I still get the 332 and 337.
or 335 with the old. Swapping evr's and pfe's has no effect on the stumble.

If I floor it I think it might be pinging, there is definitely some odd noise.

Could I have a clogged cat? (dual exhaust) Could the evaporative canister or solenoid do this. I did have trouble filling it today. The pump would kick off early and not fill it. I went to another station and it worked fine though.

Any help would be appreciated!!!
SeaBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2004, 10:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: EGR or Cat. converter(s)?

No techs out there that want to take a stab at this one??
Old 06-13-2004, 13:11   #3 (permalink)

Does this only happen on light accel or does it also happen when driving highway?
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 20:43   #4 (permalink)

Once I get up to 73 I set the cruise. If it's still happenning then it isn't noticeable.
With the O.D. off it is still present but not as bad I suppose due to the higher rpm. Between 50 and 60 is where it's worst.
Old 06-13-2004, 21:32   #5 (permalink)

With my knowledge of Crown Vics you have one of these or all of them a dirty MAF sensor, carbon under air inlet and a bad spark plug wire. Make sure you get the carbon cleaned out of the manifold- intake area. And runnign a cleaning solvent through the engine really wont get rid of the carbon either. But if u want to try to use a cleaning solvent use seafoam i have hard it works really good from people that use it.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:15   #6 (permalink)

Well, I cleaned the MAF, sucked a can of seafoam through the intake, and took it out for a good hard drive. It seemed a little better, but once I got it on the interstate it was worse than ever. When it got dark I sprayed the wires and they were arcing all over. New plugs and wires and she purrs like a kitten. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:03   #7 (permalink)

Glad to hear the car is purring like a kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71