egr trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 16:49   #1 (permalink)

egr trouble

hello all I have a 1995 mercury grand marquis with 111000 miles on it that i got from my grandfather who purchased it new. The car has the check engine light on and is throwing a code for insufficient egr circulation. Upon speaking to my grandfather about this he provided me with receipts from a local ford dealer and told me that the light came on about 2 months after he bought the car in march of 95. between 95 and 2000 he had the egr valve, solenoid and dpfe sensor replaced 3 times. every time the check engine light was back on within 100 miles he even had the throttle body and vacuum lines replaced one while the vehicle was under warranty. As of now the check engine light has been on with this single code for 9 years the car still runs smooth and there is no miss or hesitation as described on other sites im wondering if this is hurting anything as I am currently unemployed and cannot afford to have this fixed besides if its been fixed three times and the light has been on for so long and no other problems have surfaced since, i kinda doubt that its hurting anything. I have heard that the 4.6 engine from this time was troubled by this problem. I also no that there is a short in the vehicls which the dealer said is being caused by the clock. It is causing the clock not to work when the headlights are on and the temp gauge also is not working other than that everything works perfectly. Personally if this is not harming anything and wont cause problems down the road im not gonna waste money to fix it especially since the light will probably be right back on. I had my uncle reset the light with his obd scanner 500 miles ago and it is still off so im wondering if its possible this was a fluke with the computer or maybe caused by the short. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and like i said id rather not spend the money if i dont have to. also i know the temp gauge isnt the coolant sensor cuz i just replaced it today and no luck but all the other gauges still work thanks for any help.
whitewolf08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 16:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: egr trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf08 View Post
hello all I have a 1995 mercury grand marquis with 111000 miles on it that i got from my grandfather who purchased it new. The car has the check engine light on and is throwing a code for insufficient egr circulation. Upon speaking to my grandfather about this he provided me with receipts from a local ford dealer and told me that the light came on about 2 months after he bought the car in march of 95. between 95 and 2000 he had the egr valve, solenoid and dpfe sensor replaced 3 times. every time the check engine light was back on within 100 miles he even had the throttle body and vacuum lines replaced one while the vehicle was under warranty. As of now the check engine light has been on with this single code for 9 years the car still runs smooth and there is no miss or hesitation as described on other sites im wondering if this is hurting anything as I am currently unemployed and cannot afford to have this fixed besides if its been fixed three times and the light has been on for so long and no other problems have surfaced since, i kinda doubt that its hurting anything. I have heard that the 4.6 engine from this time was troubled by this problem. I also no that there is a short in the vehicls which the dealer said is being caused by the clock. It is causing the clock not to work when the headlights are on and the temp gauge also is not working other than that everything works perfectly. Personally if this is not harming anything and wont cause problems down the road im not gonna waste money to fix it especially since the light will probably be right back on. I had my uncle reset the light with his obd scanner 500 miles ago and it is still off so im wondering if its possible this was a fluke with the computer or maybe caused by the short. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and like i said id rather not spend the money if i dont have to. also i know the temp gauge isnt the coolant sensor cuz i just replaced it today and no luck but all the other gauges still work thanks for any help.

well I would fix that short (even tho its not major) all shorts are bad and its shorting for a reason (somethings not working correctly) - nothing to do with the above problem tho
Old 12-01-2009, 17:49   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The EGR ports below the elbow where the throttle body mounts are more than likely plugged. It's not a real hard job to clean them but does take some time to do. The gas mileage improves when it's working properly. The clock and temp gauge are separate problems. The temp gauge is probably the gauge itself. The lights I couldn't say without checking it.
Old 12-01-2009, 23:26   #4 (permalink)

ok for now i think im gonna worry about the throttle body and let the temp gauge and clock go for awhile ive got a nice heated garage so this cold ohio weather shouldnt matter what do you reccomend for cleaning said ports.
whitewolf08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:58   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The EGR has a groove in the intake below the throttle housing. (The piece that curves down into the intake.) You can reuse the gasket if you're careful with it. You just have to scrape the grooves with a screwdriver and use a vacuum to clean it out of the intake. Stick some rags in the hole to keep most of it out. Be careful to not scrape the aluminum.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:41   #6 (permalink)

Just went through EGR problems....make sure the DPFE sensor is a Ford part.
Bob1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 20:36   #7 (permalink)

Driving with low EGR flow makes for hotter combustion temps--which increases oxides of Nitrogen pollution (smog). The computer kicks it in at higher RPMs to cool down the combustion temps. Too low a flow can burn valves if you do long highway drives. But if you're just doing city driving, it won't hurt the engine.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71

Related Reading: egr trouble