Electrical Gremlins - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39   #1 (permalink)

Electrical Gremlins

2007 CVPI

I've got major electrical problems, too bad it hasn't set fire to the car yet because that would save me a lot of trouble. Seems like a bad ground, but I can't find it. But any of the following things happen together, individually, and on a regular basis.

- Instrument panel goes in and out, all guages go dead, then come back, sometimes on and off 20 times in a minute. Seems to go away once the interior of the car warms up.

-Lights, I live in Canada so I have a daytime running light module which means when the car is in any position other than park, the headlights come on. Problem is, they come on even when it's in park, then sometimes turn off for a minute or two, then come back on again.

-Wipers, they're posessed. They slowly twitch their way up the windshield, about an inch or two at a time, with the switch OFF! Very twitchy, like they're doing the robot. Now this I believe is tied to an issue with the multi function switch as I currently only have the "high" speed that works, delay speeds and low do nothing.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but the above are the most persistent demons. Anybody have any ideas? I do NOT want to have to trace through the entire harness. If somebody knows the locations of any of the ground connections, particularly inside the passenger compartment, please let me know so I can be sure I didn't miss any.
Bad07CVPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 10:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Electrical Gremlins

Hello and good day:

This sound like you have a major PCM (Power control Module) problem...Have you taken this to a Dealer Yet???

And Hve you gotten a Check Engine Lite display??
Old 03-26-2011, 13:53   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You'll probably have to do some harness checks. When it was decommisioned as a police unit, someone probably didn't get it right. You can check on the Autozone website for the wiring diagrams online.
Old 03-26-2011, 19:18   #4 (permalink)

Your Main interior grounds are behind your the driver side kick panel including your dash harness grounds.Check them first. Above your fuel pedal is a black box that is called the (LCM) Lighting Control Module and are known to short out causing on and off headlights. When the headlights fail again give it a kick with your foot or hand. LCM is $500 new or do a Google search for Lighting Control Module Repair were you re solder a new relay in or it just may need new solder. That's what mine needed. Your wiper problem could be the muti function switch but it sounds more like your wiper motors shorting out because the motor still works so i would try a used wiper motor first and its easier then changing the multi-function switch. Dig the leaves and crap out when you have the wiper transmission cover open. These are NOT a PCM problems.

Last edited by Stick462; 03-26-2011 at 19:44. Reason: more info
Stick462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 20:16   #5 (permalink)

This is a needed upgrade to prevent an LCM failer and increases your headlight output 200% because it takes the overload off the LCM. eAutoWorks.com 9004 / 9007 Head Lamp Heavy Wattage Wiring System Kit Its just plug and play 30mins later.
Old 03-31-2011, 21:18   #6 (permalink)

Hey thanks for the replies all, I'll follow up if I make any progress.

Sterling Six: Negative on the check engine light, I'm terrified at what the cost would be to take it to the dealer, especially when the locals tend to replace a few thousand dollars in parts before they get it right.

Bert: I think you hit the nail on the head. There's a concering number of bundled wires that were cut and tucked away with electrical tape throughout the car as a result of removing the police equipment, but I'm hoping those are all just dead leads.

Stick 462: Thank you! I will definitely check those ground connections ASAP! I dunno about the LCM though. My headlights won't shut off while the switch is in the on position. It's just the running lights coming on in park that makes me wonder. As for the wipers, if the problem was a short in the motor why would they still function fine on "high" but not in any other mode. The twitching is happening while the switch is in the off position.

Thanks again everyone, of all the systems in modern vehicles the only one I dread working on is electrical (which is everything in modern vehicles) so your tips are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2011, 22:45   #7 (permalink)
custom airride cv project

This almost sounds like something has gone swimming!
These are almost classic symptoms of components underwater! While you are doing your checks above, keep an eye out for damp/water ingress.

Good luck.
Andy.
Old 03-31-2011, 23:10   #8 (permalink)

Yeah I would bet that water is playing a role here somehow.

I neglected to mention also, the first thing to go wrong was my washer pump. It would give a little squirt at random here and there but one day stuck on and I had to pull the fuse and later disconnnect the pump. The gauges were more recently an issue. Started out kinda like the washer pump, they flickered off and on once in a blue moon and then began to shut down for minutes at a time, now they may not come on at all depending on which way the wind blows. I don't really know when the headlights first starting coming on with the switch off and the car in park, probably in the fall though. And the most recent thing to happen is the twitchy wipers.

All of these problems have been following the pattern of starting out minor, then getting progressively worse and seem to have started independantly of each other. Supposed to have some inclement weather this weekend here but first chance I get I'm going to start with those ground connections first and sniff my way through the passenger compartment's wiring.
Old 04-09-2011, 17:27   #9 (permalink)

Check if the in car fuse panel is getting wet from a fire wall gromit missing or loose?? Pull the fuse panel down and check for water damage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71