engine noise 04 crown - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2005, 07:46   #1 (permalink)

engine noise 04 crown

i'm new to this forum so bear with me...i have a 2004 crown vic that has recently started making engine noise ..it sounds like a rattle from the lower part of engine ..i first hear the rattle after about 5minutes after initial start up then ocassionally on accelleration ...i have 42k mile on it manufacture warranty out ..i didnt get an extended warranty...i was told to check the fly wheel it could be loose any other suggestions?
CRNVIC519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 08:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: engine noise 04 crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNVIC519
i'm new to this forum so bear with me...i have a 2004 crown vic that has recently started making engine noise ..it sounds like a rattle from the lower part of engine ..i first hear the rattle after about 5minutes after initial start up then ocassionally on accelleration ...i have 42k mile on it manufacture warranty out ..i didnt get an extended warranty...i was told to check the fly wheel it could be loose any other suggestions?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:48   #3 (permalink)

Jack up the rear-end, put the car in reverse, and let it go for a few days... you'll be back under warranty mileage, so you can get it fixed for free.

Don't take me seriously.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:55   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmeat
Jack up the rear-end, put the car in reverse, and let it go for a few days... you'll be back under warranty mileage, so you can get it fixed for free.

Don't take me seriously.
VERY FUNNY
Old 10-06-2005, 09:00   #5 (permalink)

Seriously, though- the torque convertor bolts are easy to check. Not so easy for the flywheel, but maybe worth a shot. To check the torque converter bolts, remove the inspection plate from the front of the transmission (should only be three or four) and check the torque on them. Rotate the crankshaft to check the next bolt. Should have four.

My Garage
Old 10-06-2005, 09:54   #6 (permalink)

thank you-i will ck this out and get back to you...have you heard of this situation before?
Old 10-06-2005, 10:26   #7 (permalink)

Nope. If I had, I'd be more confident in what I'm telling you. To check your flywheel bolts, you'll need to drop your transmission... it's a real pain in the . Pretty sure you have a 4L60E, which has too many sensors to be logical... not to mention whether your stock exhaust clears the transmission...

My Garage
Old 10-06-2005, 10:54   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Again
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09   #9 (permalink)
Tremec Masher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmeat
Nope. If I had, I'd be more confident in what I'm telling you. To check your flywheel bolts, you'll need to drop your transmission... it's a real pain in the . Pretty sure you have a 4L60E, which has too many sensors to be logical... not to mention whether your stock exhaust clears the transmission...
That's a 4R70W. Not a 4L60E, thats a GM term.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:33   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMarquisGT
That's a 4R70W. Not a 4L60E, thats a GM term.

Oops- sorry. I had just finished a conversation with a friend who's mid-installation of a 4L60E into his TJ (Wrangler), so it was still fresh on my mind.

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71