engine noise, cold weather start up.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 14:51   #1 (permalink)

engine noise, cold weather start up....

well i have had my 92 crown vic for about a month now, this morning was the first cold day that i have started it, it fires right up, runs quietly, then after about 30 seconds or so, give it a bit of gas and from what sounds like the valve cover area it starts to make a clacking sound, after about 4-5 mins of driving it faded away, does anyone else have this problem or hear of this? thanks for any help. to go further, it almost sounds as if the tapet bucket is hitting up against the lobs, i hope i'm not the only one with the clack clack clack, it dosn't hurt performance or make the motor run funny in any way, just would like to know why or what the heck is going on.
bonneville92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2006, 13:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: engine noise, cold weather start up....

nobody has any clue??
Old 11-05-2006, 04:05   #3 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

What oil are you running?
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:24   #4 (permalink)

i'm running 10-30. seems to have good oil presure. it stays the same cold or hot, very little movment in the oil pressure, i'd say just above the the R, in normal. do you think 10-30 may be to thick for winter?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:23   #5 (permalink)

10W-30 Should be ok for winter, but you might do fine with 10W-40. For my '85 either oil is "recommended." Things changed in the 90s, and I'm not 100% certain what is recommended.

However, while I have a completely different engine than you, it is normal for pushrod engines to be a little on the noisy side on cold morning starts. My engine quiets right down after the engine warms up.

If your engine isn't of the old-fashioned pushrod design, it could be you need to adjust the rockers (provided they are of the adjustable type). But again, expect to have some noise on cold morning starts. A slightly thicker oil will help a bit, but you don't want to go overboard. Stick with what's recommended for your vehicle. I'm not familiar with the engines that were used from '92 onward...
Lambykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71