Ford Forums banner

engine noise, cold weather start up....

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Lambykin 
#1 ·
well i have had my 92 crown vic for about a month now, this morning was the first cold day that i have started it, it fires right up, runs quietly, then after about 30 seconds or so, give it a bit of gas and from what sounds like the valve cover area it starts to make a clacking sound, after about 4-5 mins of driving it faded away, does anyone else have this problem or hear of this? thanks for any help. to go further, it almost sounds as if the tapet bucket is hitting up against the lobs, i hope i'm not the only one with the clack clack clack, it dosn't hurt performance or make the motor run funny in any way, just would like to know why or what the heck is going on. :driver:

#5 ·
10W-30 Should be ok for winter, but you might do fine with 10W-40. For my '85 either oil is "recommended." Things changed in the 90s, and I'm not 100% certain what is recommended.

However, while I have a completely different engine than you, it is normal for pushrod engines to be a little on the noisy side on cold morning starts. My engine quiets right down after the engine warms up.

If your engine isn't of the old-fashioned pushrod design, it could be you need to adjust the rockers (provided they are of the adjustable type). But again, expect to have some noise on cold morning starts. A slightly thicker oil will help a bit, but you don't want to go overboard. Stick with what's recommended for your vehicle. I'm not familiar with the engines that were used from '92 onward...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.