Engine problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2002, 19:00   #1 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

mad Engine problems

I have a 95 CV police interceptor with about 170K miles. I'm experiencing what looks like engine problem and need your advice.

One day while cruising on a highway I heard noises from under the hood. The noise became faster as I increased the RPM's. As I came to an exit and stopped at a light the engine died and now will not turn over when I try to start it.

I managed to get it to turn over only if I get under the car and turn the crank with a wrench counter clock wise (I think). Once I do that I get into the car and the engine will turn. As it's turning it will eventually lock again. Is that because it builds up compression? One time I almost got it started and I heard the noise again. I also noticed that the battery wires get smoking hot when I try to turn it when the engine is locked.

Looks to me like a dead engine but I'm not exactly sure what would need fixing. Not even sure if it's worth fixing the engine. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Car is in poor condition so I don't want to put too much $$$ into it. Thanks.

'01 Crown Vic P71
'98 Taurus
kalmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2002, 21:55   #2 (permalink)

jkj
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 22:16   #3 (permalink)

sorry that was just a test. I don't like to type a buch of crap and have it not show up. Any how It does not sound good for your engine. There is two items that come to mind. Most obvious is a spun bearing on the crank. Or a chain jumping timing and causing a piston to hit a valve. One thing that on a spun bearing you would usually notice a odd reading on the oil pressure guage. This would indicate crank problem. For a cam interference it would show up as you described by having a specific place on rotation that it would bind. Example to test a cam bind situation remove all the spark plugs and turn the engine by hand if it binds in the same place every time then that would be a cam interfence problem. If it is erratic and bind several times in different places then it could be a crank problem. Your situation is a little difficult be cause in this case you can not get the car to start and idle. If you could then you could listen for where the noise is coming from and simply come to the conclusion. Unfortunately with out being there if makes it hard to help troubleshoot the situation. if you would like any other help on this subject let me know maybe I could step you through some more specific tests.
Old 07-20-2002, 22:21   #4 (permalink)

I just thought of something else. Usually in a car with a spun bearing it would idle but roughly. In the event a timing belt or chain skipped or broke then the car would lose timing and cause a no start situation. Also in an interference engine where a broken timing chain results in a piston hitting a valve you would find a bent or broken valve. If it is a bent valve and a chain just jumped timing it would cause a bind on either the intake or exhaust revolution and is some cases on more then just one piston on one side. Example of this is say you are looking at the right bank two piston will be on the intake stroke at the same time as two on the left bank. If a chain broke while they were fully down then a piston could hit both intake valves and bend them or break them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71