Error Code: P0442 (EVAP control) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 22:18   #1 (permalink)

Error Code: P0442 (EVAP control)

Hello, my check engine light is on and shows an error code of P0442. When I look this up it says "Evaporative Emissions Control System Leak Detected (small leak)"

When I read up on this I guess my EVAP system is in the front right fender to the right of the battery housing.

Where would you suggest I start? Does this mean thers is a leak in the vacuum lines there or in the EVAP system itself? Does anyone know of any troubleshooting advice for this?
Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 07:16   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Error Code: P0442 (EVAP control)

That same code came up on mine a couple of times when I first bought it. Th first time I thought the gas station attendant put it on wrong. When it came up again, I checked the cap and found what looked like a piece of hair across the seal. I cleaned it and it hasn't been on in the last 5 years. (In Oregon we can't pump our own gas). P0442 is a very small leak and are hard to find. In most cases it's the cap, or the surface it seals on. What year is your car?
Old 07-09-2010, 07:44   #3 (permalink)

my car is an 01 grand marquis
Old 07-26-2010, 10:03   #4 (permalink)

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it? I'm having the same issue with an 00' Sable (24V DOHC) The gas cap doesn't seem to be helping. I bought an aftermarket and then decided to buy an OEM and it's still coming on. Taking it to a shop tomorrow to get it checked out.
Wanderlusterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37   #5 (permalink)

Honestly, I am not sure if the problem is fixed or not. I cleaned the gas cap, and reset the computer and the check engine light has not come on. That being said I haven't driven in any substantial rain since I re-set it, and that is what made the light go on in the past. I have to wait for rain driving to know for sure I guess
Old 07-27-2010, 12:57   #6 (permalink)

Very interesting. Left the shop today with happy results. The mechanic read the code, performed a smoke test and brought me back into the garage to show me what was going on. Smoke was pouring around from the filler neck. The mechanic pointed where the neck was cracked in several places (you really couldn't tell without the smoke test) and said he was pretty sure that was the problem. $209 out the door and I'm good :)
Wanderlusterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 14:05   #7 (permalink)

Hey that's not a bad deal. I went to buy a new neck from Ford and he had no idea why I would want one. his option was a new gas cap instead. I guess I will have to find a filler neck elsewhere (if/when the code comes back on)
Old 07-27-2010, 14:24   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You can search here for new.
www.partsguyed.com
https://www.bowenscarff-fordparts.co...s_catalog.html
And used here.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Old 10-11-2011, 20:36   #9 (permalink)

Garage
frown Re: Error Code: P0442 (EVAP control)

Well I need right away from anyone!
My 2000 P71 shows engine code P0442 & I still unable to find issue. My car has been suffering since the code showed up in May of this year. I now have a very small miss in the motor (acts like bad coil but isn't!),And U can hear the miss thro the back exhaust, it bucks, jerking, etc from 0-45 mph in drive <---- It was only between 30-40 mph, sound like the exhaust is a "throat ish / chocked" sound now, no misfire code from COPs , no P0442 code in the last 6 yrs, & its gotten worse.
On 10/11/2011 around 5:30pm my poor P71 started to have a "Light top tap" coming from the motor & that went away after i drove in around the 15 mile gated community, and let it idle (idled shitty) and just turn it off when I got home, I just dont know what too do or whats going on! I'm not the guy to figure this kinda of stuff out , Im more into the aftermarket stuff guy . I'm hoping it can be a small fix and some major!

This is my conclusion: 1.) 11 yr old charcoal vapor cainster need to be replaced 2.) EGR valve, EGR valve sensor, EGR solenoid or solenoid, 4.)TPS, 5.) catalytic converter 6.) Throttle body. I has to be something at of all in my conclusion.
Please I need some help, some idea on what it may be, Idea on where I can start?
I am more then Happy answer your questions.
southernp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 20:50   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

P0442 won't normally cause running problems. Those items you mentioned aren't normally a problem. Have you tried running it with the MAF unhooked. If it runs better, it nedds cleaning with MAF cleaner or replacement. If tehre's an engine noise, find out what that is. can't tell without being there. If it's a fairly steady miss, it could have a spark plug boot cracked causing the spark to jump. Have the plugs been replaced? How many miles on it? You should start a new post on this.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71