Exhaust upgrade... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 09:59   #1 (permalink)

Exhaust upgrade...DONE!!!

Looks like I finally got the wifey on board for this. I have a shop that will do this... cut into the exhaust pipe just as it swings over to the existing muffler and come straight back with a new matching muffler and tailpipe. This keeps the H-pipe system. I guess this is important for this system to work. Last time I did this I just went with two separate pipes and mufflers

1984 Chevy Blazer

Last edited by '05 vic; 03-01-2008 at 17:56. Reason: Upgrade completed
'05 vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008, 12:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Exhaust upgrade...

Doesn't that leave you with a small section of a single pipe? Not that it is critical but it will be a restriction.

On mine they cut out the "Y", took the left branch to a new muffler and tailpipe, the right branch to the existing muffler. And "H" pipe is easy to add between the two as all you need is to burn a hole in each side and weld the piupe in between. You only need a hole, as there is no high flow here, only pressure equalization.

They did all this in 45 minutes for $189......
Elmer Fudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:20   #3 (permalink)

So they cut out the y section and made it flow the way it should. Thanks. What year is your CV?

1984 Chevy Blazer
Old 01-12-2008, 21:39   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05 vic
So they cut out the y section and made it flow the way it should. Thanks. What year is your CV?
Its an 05 MGM.....exactly the same
Old 01-14-2008, 06:11   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Fudd
Its an 05 MGM.....exactly the same
Cool...what did you notice first? I am hoping to pick up a little on the mileage. I get about 24 or so around town. 27or so on the highway.

I have been told and I think I read it here that I can expect around 8 to 10 increase on the horsepower.

1984 Chevy Blazer
Old 01-14-2008, 20:46   #6 (permalink)

If you are getting that kind of milage I wouldn't change anything, LOL

The duals actually add a little rumble, even though I have the stock muffler on one side and a ordinary after market muffler on the other (nothing hi-flow).

According to Ford it adds 15 HP, 224 to 239. Lets face it you are really not going to be able to "notice" that....it just "seems" better......

I just didn't want it to look like grandma's car, so I like the twin plumes of vapor coming out the back on a cold morninig......

Next is a black Marauder Grill for the front, instead of that grandma plastic chrome.....
Old 03-01-2008, 10:30   #7 (permalink)

Well I did it. I pick it up today at 3PM. One question...do I have the H-pipe installed like the factory or go without. I am getting two new mufflers so the back pressure is the same, the shop didn't have a match for the stock Ford muffler.

$220.00 out the door. Pretty good price I thought...

Ok...just got off the phone with the guy. I asked him what he would do go with an H-pipe or without. He asked me if I was going to keep this car forever and I said yes. He told me to go with an X-pipe, the H-pipes were old-school. So add another $50.00 and I get the X-pipe. $270.00 total.

1984 Chevy Blazer
Old 03-01-2008, 17:49   #8 (permalink)

Got it back...he did a great job! Looks clean and sounds just like I wanted...deeper and not too loud at all. I will take it out of town soon to see how she does on the open road.

1984 Chevy Blazer
Old 10-22-2008, 21:13   #9 (permalink)

Where did you get the X-Pipe from, or was it custom built at a shop?
Was it mandral bent?
jayken302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71