fan clutch - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2005, 06:28   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
fan clutch

I'm looking for some advice from you good folks. Recently when I took my 1995 Grand Marquis in for service I was told that the car needed a fan clutch. I told them to replace it. Now when I start the car the engine is very loud, however, when you put the car into DRIVE the engine quiets down. However, once you accelerate and take off the engine becomes loud again. I'm looking from some help. Thanks.
jacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-27-2005, 14:55   #2 (permalink)
That guy
 
BlueSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Belleville michigan
Age: 27
Posts: 389
Re: fan clutch

I'm not 100% positive but I think on a 95 theres a electric fan instead of a clutch fan. I think mercury did that in 93 or 92? I'm basing this off a 94 grand I replaced the a/c pump on, it had a brain comtrolled electric fan, the owner said it was stock. Also a 94 and 95 T-bird I have over her are 4.6L with electic fan, same goes for a 96 cougar (all parts cars, almost completly stripped). Are you sure they said fan clutch?
__________________
Blue Anodized Steel
The Apocalypse is coming, are you ready?

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 17:34   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Re: fan clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
I'm not 100% positive but I think on a 95 theres a electric fan instead of a clutch fan. I think mercury did that in 93 or 92? I'm basing this off a 94 grand I replaced the a/c pump on, it had a brain comtrolled electric fan, the owner said it was stock. Also a 94 and 95 T-bird I have over her are 4.6L with electic fan, same goes for a 96 cougar (all parts cars, almost completly stripped). Are you sure they said fan clutch?
Blue Steel- Thank you for your response to my question. I am certain they said fan clutch, in fact, I have the invoice before me and it says "fan clutch" but as I stated in my original question the engine is very loud and doesn't seem to be performing as it should as least as far as noise and that bothers me.
jacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 22:42   #4 (permalink)
That guy
 
BlueSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Belleville michigan
Age: 27
Posts: 389
Re: fan clutch

Can you descrid the noise more, is it a popping sound, grinding, sqeuking, rubbing, hissing? Or a combination? Its possible they put the belt back on in the wrong groves, check to see of the fan belt is frayed or warn. Its common for mechanics to mis align the belt witch will cause a flapping sound at increasing rpm's.
__________________
Blue Anodized Steel
The Apocalypse is coming, are you ready?

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 00:14   #5 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec
 
ryoder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morganton,N.C.
Age: 51
Posts: 274
Re: fan clutch

I think that what his noise is, is the fan turning at the same speed as the engine at startup. After the engine starts to accelerate the fan equalizes, but still cooling the engine,thus,not as much noise. This is normal for clutch fans. They have a spring in the clutch that is Temperature sensitive, it contracts and expands, tightening and loosening causing the fan to turn faster or slower according to it's needs.I think that the electric fan was probably a option in that year , the CV got the electric fan, standard ,in 98.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:53   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Re: fan clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoder
I think that what his noise is, is the fan turning at the same speed as the engine at startup. After the engine starts to accelerate the fan equalizes, but still cooling the engine,thus,not as much noise. This is normal for clutch fans. They have a spring in the clutch that is Temperature sensitive, it contracts and expands, tightening and loosening causing the fan to turn faster or slower according to it's needs.I think that the electric fan was probably a option in that year , the CV got the electric fan, standard ,in 98.
Blue Steel & Ryoder
Thanks for your help. The best way that I can describe it is that the engine is very noisy. In fact the other morning when I pulled into the parking lot where I pick up my papers,an old gent with a Ford pickup said to me, "that car is really pumping". I just know that it should not sound this way. Not being a mechanic that is the best way for me to describe. That's why I appreciate the help from you fellows.
jacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:29   #7 (permalink)
That guy
 
BlueSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Belleville michigan
Age: 27
Posts: 389
Re: fan clutch

I don't know if this helps, but does it sound like to spoons hitting each other, or like a fast wind hitting the side of the house, or like a room of people clapping after a basket ball game? Noise is to large of a word to run on, its like eating at burger king and telling people to meet you at the fast food resturant.
__________________
Blue Anodized Steel
The Apocalypse is coming, are you ready?

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:56   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Re: fan clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel
I don't know if this helps, but does it sound like to spoons hitting each other, or like a fast wind hitting the side of the house, or like a room of people clapping after a basket ball game? Noise is to large of a word to run on, its like eating at burger king and telling people to meet you at the fast food resturant.

Blue Steel,
I agree with you that it is difficult to accurately describe the noise. Let me try again.....it sounds like the car is racing or accelerating in a noisy fashion. I just don't know how else to describe it. In any event the people who originally worked on it will be looking at next Thursday. Then hopefully it will be corrected.
jacmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:11.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.