Finally I can sort things out - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 17:05   #1 (permalink)

Finally I can sort things out

Ok, I was on last about a month ago. Was getting ready to pick up an '89 CV. I had been told it was carburated. I should know by now not to trust third hand information.

It's a regular (not HO) 302, NBD, I'm still happy with it. Just needs an alternator and it'll be running great.

I'll post pictures later, once it's clean(er) and the sun is out. Needs paint and some body work. Other than that it's in fair condition.

Couple of questions real quick: Can I put mustang computers in my car? Like upgrade stuff? Cause that would be cool.

The backlight for the speedo(so you can see it at night) Is dead. How hard is it to replace?

Thanks in advance for any help. Gotta go.
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2007, 08:29   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Finally I can sort things out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeyes88
Ok, I was on last about a month ago. Was getting ready to pick up an '89 CV. I had been told it was carburated. I should know by now not to trust third hand information.

It's a regular (not HO) 302, NBD, I'm still happy with it. Just needs an alternator and it'll be running great.

I'll post pictures later, once it's clean(er) and the sun is out. Needs paint and some body work. Other than that it's in fair condition.

Couple of questions real quick: Can I put mustang computers in my car? Like upgrade stuff? Cause that would be cool.

The backlight for the speedo(so you can see it at night) Is dead. How hard is it to replace?

Thanks in advance for any help. Gotta go.
302's (5.0L's) were fuel injected. Only the 351's (5.8L's) had a carburetor, but this engine was in cop cars only.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:06   #3 (permalink)

Re: Finally I can sort things out

Quote:
You can upgrade everything to 5.0 Mustang equipment. Mustang upper intake, throttle body, heads, cam, fuel injectors, and computer will all bolt onto your engine and you'll have 225 HP using parts the Mustang guys throw away. Of course, if you have a bigger budget and more ambition, you can do all the things the Mustang guys do to their engines.

Here's a link that explains it in greater detail. It's a great forum; you may want to join up there as well. My name there is the same as my name here.

{HO Conversion} Mike's Tips and FAQ's.... - GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:06   #4 (permalink)

This makes me very happy. I believe once I'm ready to put a new engine in I'll keep the old one as a project motor. Then put that one back in once I get a new grocery getter.

Just need the money for the alt and I'll be ready to rock. The one that's in there is the original from 89, and it's totally dead.

Any idea on the backlight? If it was going to be difficult I was thinking of just snaking some EL wire in behind the gauges and hooking it up to the headlamp switch.
Old 06-25-2007, 16:44   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Finally I can sort things out

Quote:
This makes me very happy. I believe once I'm ready to put a new engine in I'll keep the old one as a project motor. Then put that one back in once I get a new grocery getter.

Just need the money for the alt and I'll be ready to rock. The one that's in there is the original from 89, and it's totally dead.

Any idea on the backlight? If it was going to be difficult I was thinking of just snaking some EL wire in behind the gauges and hooking it up to the headlamp switch.
I remember now, I took one out in school. Just remove all the screws on the wood bezel and remove the bezel. Remove the screws for the gauges and pull it out enough to disconnect the speedo. cable and the connector. You may have to remove the cover under the steering column (Not the one on the column) to disconnect the PRNOD1 indicator cable from the column. Then just pull the gauges out. You'll see the black bulb bases along the back of the printed circuit board. Just turn them a little counter-clockwise and pull them out. Is it just them one for the speedo. or all of the gauges??? (Oh, wait, all you have is gas and speedo.) If it was all of the backlights at once, I'd say either a fuse or a bad headlight switch. You probably can get those bulbs at any parts store. If not, the Ford Dealer.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 17:11   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
...If it was all of the backlights at once, I'd say either a fuse or a bad headlight switch. You probably can get those bulbs at any parts store. If not, the Ford Dealer.
One is working fine, one is dim and another is dead.

All in all it looks to be easy just tedious. I'll have to set aside a day to do it, just so I'm not rushing through it.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71