Flashing CEL - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 21:02   #1 (permalink)

Flashing CEL

Tonight when I started my GM, I could feel a miss while idling. When I put it in gear, I could really feel it. I had to drive about 4 miles to my brothers house, and about 2 miles down the road, the CEL began flashing for about 10-20 seconds, then went off. The car continued to run like crap. When I left my brothers house, the car was still running like crap, and about halfway home the CEL came on and stayed on and the miss was still present.

We've gotten 6 inches of rain in the last 5 days and the car has ran great until today. It rained today too, but nowhere near as bad as the past 5 days. Not sure if this could be contributing to the problem or not. I plan on having the codes checked tomorrow. I just need to know how big of a risk I'm taking by driving it.
00Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 07:34   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Flashing CEL

You will know when you find out which CEL code is flashing? Probably no harm in driving, the heat may dry any moisture out.

Without additional info, I would check the air box and MAF sensor for moisture.

Hope that all is well with Sandy blowing over your area.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09   #3 (permalink)

Ok, had auto zone scan it, and it came back as "misfire cylinder #7". Which plug is #7? Also, should I get a new coil or just a boot? The plugs were just replaced in March or April.

Could a clogged cat. cause a misfire? I know my cats need changed, I just haven't had the money to get it done. Thanks
00Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 16:06   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Driver's side second from back. may have wetted the wire or coil.
Old 10-31-2012, 16:30   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

^ or plug also if not been firing .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:12   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Also, pull the plug boot and check for moisture. Try dry blowing the plug recess and plug boot with dry compressed air. Always use dielectric grease liberally around the boots to seal the boot/plug/coil connections from moisture. If wet, it would help to disassemble the boot (all eight) to check the spring and resistor for corrosion.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71