Ford Crown Victoria History - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2003, 12:15   #1 (permalink)

Ford Crown Victoria History

Ford Crown Victoria
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Find out how you can help support Wikipedia's phenomenal growth.

The Ford Crown Victoria is a variety of automobile made by the Ford Motor Company and sold mainly in the North American market.

The first "Crown Victoria" appeared in 1955; it was a 2-door 6-seater hardtop coupe, part of the Ford Fairlane range, that differed from the regular Victoria model by having a lower, sleeker roofline and much more stainless steel trim, incuding a stainless steel band that 'crowned' the roofline, passing right over the car, as an extension of the B-pillar line. That model did not outlast the 1950s.

In 1979, Ford brought back the name on a deluxe version of the LTD full-size car line. It was recognizeable by its four headlights with amber turn signals beneath them (base LTDs had two headlights, and clear turn signals in the grille). There was a 2-door coupe (all steel top this time), 4 door sedan and a wagon- the wagon became a "Country Squire" if fake-wood trim was ordered. Most had 5.0L V8s, all had automatics.

By 1982 the LTD designation was dropped along with the base model. The coupe did not last past 1985. In 1992 the sedan body (production of the [station wagon] having ceased in 1991) was completely redesigned to the round, six-window shape, and there was a new 4.6L "Triton" engine. There was a further facelift in 1998 and chassis modifications for 2002.

This car, its slightly more luxurious twin the Mercury Grand Marquis, and the more expensive Lincoln Town Car are just about the only mass-produced passenger cars left in the world with a fully separate chassis as opposed to the more modern "unibody" contruction style where the body panels are load bearing members.

Some 90% of police cars in the US and Canada are Crown Victorias. Current and former police versions (the latter are often used as taxis) handily outnumber civilian models.

There has been some controversy and lawsuits in recent years over the car's tendency to explode when rear-ended due to its retention of the gas tank in the once-industry-standard position of behind the rear axle, rather than the now more common location of in front of the rear axle. The condition was exacerbated by the positioning of a sharp bolt on the rear axle, which would puncture the tank in certain types of accidents. Measures have been taken to correct the worst of the problem.

See also:
GMACK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2004, 14:19   #2 (permalink)
I eat glue

Tongue Re: Ford Crown Victoria History

Hey Gmack, didnt know you where here . I was doing a search for stuff and this poped up. Thanks for the info Laterz
BlueAnodizdStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 17:14   #3 (permalink)

Re: Ford Crown Victoria History

I owned a 53 Crown Vic.... flathead v-8, automatic, 2 tone paint....

The first "Crown Victoria" appeared in 1955; it was a 2-door 6-seater hardtop coupe, part of the Ford Fairlane range, that differed from the regular Victoria model by having a lower, sleeker roofline and much more stainless steel trim, incuding a stainless steel band that 'crowned' the roofline, passing right over the car, as an extension of the B-pillar line. That model did not outlast the 1950s.

In 1979, Ford brought back the name on a deluxe version of the LTD full-size car line. It was recognizeable by its four headlights with amber turn signals beneath them (base LTDs had two headlights, and clear turn signals in the grille). There was a 2-door coupe (all steel top this time), 4 door sedan and a wagon- the wagon became a "Country Squire" if fake-wood trim was ordered. Most had 5.0L V8s, all had automatics.

By 1982 the LTD designation was dropped along with the base model. The coupe did not last past 1985. In 1992 the sedan body (production of the [station wagon] having ceased in 1991) was completely redesigned to the round, six-window shape, and there was a new 4.6L "Triton" engine. There was a further facelift in 1998 and chassis modifications for 2002.

This car, its slightly more luxurious twin the Mercury Grand Marquis, and the more expensive Lincoln Town Car are just about the only mass-produced passenger cars left in the world with a fully separate chassis as opposed to the more modern "unibody" contruction style where the body panels are load bearing members.

Some 90% of police cars in the US and Canada are Crown Victorias. Current and former police versions (the latter are often used as taxis) handily outnumber civilian models.

There has been some controversy and lawsuits in recent years over the car's tendency to explode when rear-ended due to its retention of the gas tank in the once-industry-standard position of behind the rear axle, rather than the now more common location of in front of the rear axle. The condition was exacerbated by the positioning of a sharp bolt on the rear axle, which would puncture the tank in certain types of accidents. Measures have been taken to correct the worst of the problem.

See also:[/QUOTE]
rsymonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 21:23   #4 (permalink)
The SVT Vic driver

I'm a long time fan of the Panther chassis. Panther is the name of the chassis for all Crown Victorias, Grand Marquis, and Town Cars from 79 to present.

I noticed some incorrect information in the original post so I figured I'd spread the knowledge.

79-91 had either 302 or 351 Windsor engines. 351 was reserved for police or special order due to emissions regulations. Though police package could still have the 302. 351 was available in Town Cars only in Canada till 1981. 302s were CFI from 82-85. 86 was the introduction of the Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection 5.0L engine, which ran until 91. The 351 was carburated from 79-91.

1979 and some 1980 had a C4 transmission. In 82-91 all Panther chassis were equipped with AODs. 90 was the last year for the 5.0L in the Town Car which was redesigned. In 91 there was a bastard child creation 4.6L with the AOD transmission in the newer designed body Town Car. After 91 all Panther's were 4.6L Modular engines with AODEs (later updated and renamed 4R70W).

LTD was carried all the way to 1991. 2 Door coupe was continued all the way to 1987. In 88 the exterior was design optimized for a little aerodynamic improvement. In 89 the interior was redone as well. soft top was available on either coupe or sedan from 79-91. 91 marked the last year for the "box" body line of Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis, and the end of the station wagon.

91-97 body is commonly referred to as the Aero design due to it's extremely aerodynamic design. The Aero had a Drag Coefficient of .33, far better than most compact Hondas. These Crown Victorias were essentialy unchanged underneath though. Only bolt on changes were made to the chassis.

The 98 to present body is commonly referred to as the "Whale" body. 98-02 was again mostly an aesthetic upgrade, with minor changes in the bolt on parts to the chassis. However in 03 the chassis was throughly updated. Still using the original frame as the base the front was completely redesigned, as well as the rear, though there were no significant exterior or interior changes from 02-03.

The 03-04 Marauder is also a Panther. Using the same exact chassis as all other Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis vehicle in 03-04. Only minor aesthetic difference are found between the Marauder and the others. However the powerplant was upgraded to a 4 valve DOHC 4.6L with 315hp, stiffer springs, and 3.55 gears. The Marauder was only produced in 03-04.
Blaze86Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:58   #5 (permalink)

Once Tiggie has his Panther chassis history completed it should be posted over here, too.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:55   #6 (permalink)

Hello there!

Recently I have fallen in love in LTD Crown Victoria and I'm thinking about delivering one of them from USA to Poland (where I live). I wonder If someone can give me a link to some web site where I can find complete Crown Victoria/LTD/LTD Crown Victoria/Crown Victoria timeline with pictures? I'm considering owning 1979-88 (maybe to 1991) model. Are there any sites about those cars with lot of info and pictures?

Greetings!
LiveLetDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:35   #7 (permalink)
Grumpy old man

Try visiting ********* for all of your Crown Victoria questions.

GT-40X303 heads, E-cam, 1.6 roller rockers,
Cobra intake, Edelbrock 65mm t/b, 73 mm C&L, CAI,
24 lb injectors, AFPR, 3.73's, March underdrives.

FRPP headers, Bassani catted X, SLP Loudmouth.
This thing is loud!!!

Pony R's with Eagle ZR's, stock AOD.

Cervini's Air Extractor hood
2003 GT seats
Springtime Edition mirrors & wing

ff member 157
wythors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 17:59   #8 (permalink)
The SVT Vic driver

Or &&&&&&&&&&&&&
Old 06-10-2007, 00:45   #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I've also gained some knowledge looking thru supermotors.net. Watching photos and signatures made by owners I finally realized how looks specific model.
LiveLetDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:42   #10 (permalink)

i figured the crown vic and ltd was the same but im fixin a 78 ltd for a friend and he wants to load it with power without engine swap..it has a 6.6 400 in it
i found intakes cam and lifter kits and all that but i cant find performer heads for it i tried ford racing and everything still nothing..any help thanks
ThunderCat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71