Ford Said to Plan End of Mercury After Seven Decades - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2010, 16:53   #1 (permalink)
Junior Herb

Ford Said to Plan End of Mercury After Seven Decades

Ford Said to Plan End of Mercury After Seven Decades (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Quote:
Ford Motor Co. is preparing to wind down the Mercury line, created in 1939 by Edsel Ford, after sales plunged 74 percent since 2000, said two people familiar with the plan.

The automaker’s top executives are preparing a proposal to kill Mercury to be presented to directors in July, said the people, who asked not to be indentified revealing internal discussions. Mercury, losing two of four models next year, will be starved of products and promotion, the people said.

Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally emphasized the automaker’s namesake brand as he revived the only major U.S. automaker to avoid bankruptcy. The timing of Mercury’s demise depends on how fast executives can convince the brand’s dealers, who also sell Lincoln models, to close or merge with Ford showrooms, they said.

“Mercury is a forgotten brand,” said John Wolkonowicz, an auto analyst with IHS Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts. “Many Americans probably already think it has been discontinued. Mercury was too similar to Ford from the very beginning.”
ToxicAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 17:21   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford Said to Plan End of Mercury After Seven Decades

Going to be a sad day when that happens. I love these cars (second mercury) first was a sable (which had its problems but was fun to drive)
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15   #3 (permalink)

Garage

What a downer. If only Ford had made the investment in the Mercury brand over the years this could have gone differently. It's perfectly positioned to start becoming more youthful and compete directly with the new offerings from Buick; all it needs is new product as exciting as what's next door in the Ford showroom. I think a refreshed Milan with an EcoBoost engine and some premium options would have taken the wind right out of the Buick Regal's sails.
Old 06-02-2010, 15:18   #4 (permalink)

Just saw on the news that Ford confirmed this story today. Sad day indeed. They said that they want to phase out the brand by the end of the year. The Crown Vic and Grand Marquis and Town Car were scheduled to be in production 'till May 2011, so I guess that the Grand Marquis will go away before the Crown Vic, who knew.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS ~89,000mi, Willow Green inside and out. It's very green.
1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base V6 187,000mi (sold)
BigMerc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:09   #5 (permalink)

kind of sad... before I was born my grandfather had 65 Meteor 2dr fastback, and my dad drove a 76 Meteor Montcalm 2dr for a couple years...

I think there were some years and models, the early Cougars (67-73), the Comet/Montego/Cyclone of the late 60s, the 57-58 Big Ms, the 1970s Capri, even the bubbleback Capri, that really gave Mercury a different look, really made them something more than just a Ford with a different badge. Too bad that styling wasn't kept over the years.
oogieboogiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 15:33   #6 (permalink)

My dealer shut down last November. Took the car in for servicing one day and a week later when I drove past the showroom and lot were empty. Never said a word of warning to me. The Mothership in Detroit didn't even bother to send a card telling me where I might go for future servicing.

A tear came to my eye.

Went and looked at a 2011 Mustang Cobra today. $59,000 MSRP!
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 13:17   #7 (permalink)

Tis sad indeed.I love my 98 Vicky.When it finally expires(shudder) what can I replace it with?I went to my local Ford dealer and looked at the selection,none of the new cars had a trunk,just two glove boxes,one inside and one outside.Also with their tiny motors they can't pull a small camper.I guess they want you to buy a fuel saving car for about town and a truck to go camping,or worse,a huge 20mpg SUV.My Vicky gets 32 mpg on the highway towing a popup camper!Love that 4.6!This poor senior loves his classy car.
larrchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71