Re: Front Door Latch Problem? 94 GM
I'd replace it. They aren't hard to do. This is from the manual.
Latch, Door Front
1. Remove door trim panel and watershield.
2. Mark the location of the rear run lower retaining bolt and remove the bolt.
3. Disconnect the outside release rod.
4. Check all rod connections. Correct any misconnected or loose connections and check operation before replacing parts.
5. Disconnect the rods from the front door latch . The front door latch remote control link and the latch-to-lock cylinder rod cannot be removed because of the rod's end configuration.
6. Remove the lock cylinder rod from the lock cylinder lever.
7. Remove power door lock actuator and power rod and clip, if equipped.
8. Remove front door latch and front door latch remote control link.
9. Remove the front door latch retaining screws; disconnect the door open warning lamp switch wire, if so equipped, and remove the front door latch from the door.
10. Remove anti-theft shield from the front door latch.
11. Remove the front door latch remote control link, the latch-to-lock cylinder rods, and the door open warning lamp switch from the front door latch where applicable.
1. Install new rod retaining clips and grommets in the new front door latch, using the removed front door latch as a guide.
2. Position the door open warning lamp switch to the front door latch and install the retaining screw. Adjust the door open warning lamp switch.
3. Install anti-theft shield to the front door latch.
4. Install the front door latch remote control link and the latch-to-lock cylinder rod.
5. Position the front door latch in the door and connect the wire to the door open warning lamp switch. Install the latch and retaining screws with the anti-theft shield. Tighten to 4-8 N-m (3-6 lb-ft).
6. Install the front door latch remote control and link.
7. Connect the latch-to-lock cylinder rod to the lock cylinder lever, manual lock rod and power door lock actuator, if equipped.
8. Connect the outside release rod to the front door latch. Check the latch operation.
9. Install the rear run lower attaching bolt. Install the bolt in the original position.
10. Install door trim panel and watershield.