Front Door Latch Problem? 94 GM - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 13:28   #1 (permalink)

Front Door Latch Problem? 94 GM

Recently the sound of the right front door latch changed from a solid "thunk" when opening the door to a loud "snap" or a "click". Sounds the same as before when closing. I can't see anything different when comparing to the left door latch. Is this a potential problem or just more wear and tear on my 94 Grand Marquis with 54,000 miles.
MarksMarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 14:41   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Front Door Latch Problem? 94 GM

If everything seems to operate smoothly, could be time and wear causing the door to settle.
Old 09-11-2012, 16:47   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

How does the striker look?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:30   #4 (permalink)

Hi Bert--The striker looks fine. No wear marks and the anodized finish is still there. No sag to the door.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

The striker needing adjusted in a bit to compensate for any wear on the door rubbers ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 15:35   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Another thing to check is if the door is sagging. Maybe the hinge pins are worn. Open the door and lift it on the handle end to see if there's movement.
Old 09-13-2012, 19:55   #7 (permalink)

The hinges are as solid as a rock. No play or sag. Remember it only has 54,000 miles. When I close the door and hold up the outside handle at the same time it doesn't sound or feel like the door makes contact with the striker at all.

If you want to send me a private message I can email you a .wav file with the sound of the door opening. I can't upload the file through the forum because it's the wrong type and it's too big.

Appreciate your help--
Old 09-13-2012, 20:46   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I haven't had any luck with listening on sound files. Without being there firsthand, it doesn't do any good. Try spraying some WD40 in the latch and see if it changes.
Old 09-15-2012, 14:34   #9 (permalink)

Have you ever replaced a door latch? Do you know if I can buy a new one? Maybe I'll just have to live with it. I worry that it's a sign of an impending failure and if it does fail the door won't latch or open.
Old 09-15-2012, 16:31   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd replace it. They aren't hard to do. This is from the manual.
Latch, Door Front

Removal
1. Remove door trim panel and watershield.
2. Mark the location of the rear run lower retaining bolt and remove the bolt.
3. Disconnect the outside release rod.
4. Check all rod connections. Correct any misconnected or loose connections and check operation before replacing parts.
5. Disconnect the rods from the front door latch . The front door latch remote control link and the latch-to-lock cylinder rod cannot be removed because of the rod's end configuration.
6. Remove the lock cylinder rod from the lock cylinder lever.
7. Remove power door lock actuator and power rod and clip, if equipped.
8. Remove front door latch and front door latch remote control link.
9. Remove the front door latch retaining screws; disconnect the door open warning lamp switch wire, if so equipped, and remove the front door latch from the door.
10. Remove anti-theft shield from the front door latch.
11. Remove the front door latch remote control link, the latch-to-lock cylinder rods, and the door open warning lamp switch from the front door latch where applicable.

Installation

1. Install new rod retaining clips and grommets in the new front door latch, using the removed front door latch as a guide.
2. Position the door open warning lamp switch to the front door latch and install the retaining screw. Adjust the door open warning lamp switch.
3. Install anti-theft shield to the front door latch.
4. Install the front door latch remote control link and the latch-to-lock cylinder rod.
5. Position the front door latch in the door and connect the wire to the door open warning lamp switch. Install the latch and retaining screws with the anti-theft shield. Tighten to 4-8 N-m (3-6 lb-ft).
6. Install the front door latch remote control and link.
7. Connect the latch-to-lock cylinder rod to the lock cylinder lever, manual lock rod and power door lock actuator, if equipped.
8. Connect the outside release rod to the front door latch. Check the latch operation.
9. Install the rear run lower attaching bolt. Install the bolt in the original position.
10. Install door trim panel and watershield.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71