Front end clunk - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 09:40   #1 (permalink)

Front end clunk

Just purchased a '99 GM with 146k on the odometer. I believe the car has sat for the past 6 months or so looking at the carfax. When I first started to drive the front suspension would make a loud clunk whenever I went over a man hole cover or similar sharp bump. Could feel the clunk up through the steering wheel. I had the front end looked at and it has all new upper and lower control arms and everything looks good. Now that I have about 1,000 miles on it the clunk has started to lesson to where I don't really hear it unless going over a very big bump. Are there some bushings that may have just needed to be worked or something? Now that it doesn't really happen anymore I am hesitant to take it in and have someone look at it. Any advice on whether I have a long term problem?
sortlane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2014, 12:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: Front end clunk

If it sat for a while, could have been a lot of things...Parts that move sometimes get stiff or freeze up if not used for a period of time. Could be something just needed to get loosened up after sitting so long. If you had everything looked at, and the noise is going away, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If all ball joints etc. are new, maybe take a look at the front shocks??
00Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:45   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Silver View Post
If it sat for a while, could have been a lot of things...Parts that move sometimes get stiff or freeze up if not used for a period of time. Could be something just needed to get loosened up after sitting so long. If you had everything looked at, and the noise is going away, I personally wouldn't worry about it. If all ball joints etc. are new, maybe take a look at the front shocks??
Thanks for the feedback. The interesting thing is that it went from a condition where it seemed something was loose to cause the clunking to tightening up that got rid of it.
sortlane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 16:28   #4 (permalink)

Go over everything again and double check ball joints, shocks, sway bar links, tie rods, etc. If all seems ok, I wouldn't worry about it. My 2 cents. Good luck
00Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71