Front end squeal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 19:55   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Front end squeal

Since I purchased the car there has been a squealing noise when I shut the car down, like something winding down. It makes no noise when the car is running and the shorter the time it was on the louder/longer the squeal is when I turn it off. I assume it's the radiator fan but the unit has a pretty comprehensive plastic shroud around it and I can't really see the inside. Are there any parts in it I can WD-40 or do I have to replace the whole thing?
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2010, 19:50   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re: Front end squeal

Well after asking around a little it seems like the most likely culprit is the fan bearing. I've been told by a few people that it's normal for the fan to crap out on police vehicles after running continuously for thousands of hours. Does that sound right to you, Bert? Either way I think I'm going to just order a new unit off of rockauto and call it a day.
Old 09-08-2010, 20:21   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Try unplugging it and see if it goes away. Just watch the temp gauge and make sure it doesn't overheat.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:17   #4 (permalink)

Starting in 2004 Ford put a one way clutch built into the alternator pully.The noise is the clutch pully slowing down the alternator as you shut off the engine.The clutch protects the accesory belt from slipping and burning up and stops heavy loading of the alternator bearings.
Stick462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick462 View Post
Starting in 2004 Ford put a one way clutch built into the alternator pully.The noise is the clutch pully slowing down the alternator as you shut off the engine.The clutch protects the accesory belt from slipping and burning up and stops heavy loading of the alternator bearings.
That could be the problem. We never had one do that but it's also possible that the pulley is going out.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71