Fuel delivery problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 18:07   #1 (permalink)

Fuel delivery problem

Hi all. I experienced a problem today in my 2002 interceptor. Basically , I was driving for about 5 miles, the vehicle idled for maybe 10 minutes as well, then after driving for a few more miles, it began to stumble. Then it basically died completely. There was no check engine light and it behaved like my car ran out of gas. I know I put gas in yesterday and the fuel gage showed a little less than half a tank. So i figure its most likely the fuel pump.After the vehicle was pushed out of the road and i was parked in a lot, I pressed down on the shrader valve on the fuel rail and there is no gas being delivered in the rail. My question is, first of all, i dont know which fuse in the fuse block is for the fuel pump, although, i can simply check all the fuses i suppose. The vehicle is not here right now either, so i can look at it later, but can you access the fuel pump connector from the trunk? i wanna make sure that the fuel pump is receiving power before i just go buy a fuel pump. i also wonder if it could be the relay. because my experience with fuel pumps going bad is merely when you start the car, not it dying while you are actually driving. i admit that i am guilty of letting the gas tank getting REAL close to empty probably too often.
i dont have much time to work on the car tomorrow night, so I am grasping for any information out there to keep in mind. i cant find a fuel pump circuit online anyway, although i suppose i will prolly figure it out tomorrow when i check it out
thanks in advance
regards
drunk_engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 19:34   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Fuel delivery problem

The relay fuse is under the hood and #1 in the box. Theres a pump connector on the drivers side fender well under the hood. The wire collots are light blue/orange and dark green/yellow. Connect them together and the pump should run key on or off. In the trunk is the inertia switch and that pops open in an accident. You could push the button in to be sure, but I've never seen one pop unless in a colision or hammering in the area. The fuel pump is probably the problem. Running a car low on fuel is very hard on fuel pumps.
If you need an owners manual, you can get one here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

Welcome to the forums.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel pump.jpg (115.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-15-2009, 21:52   #3 (permalink)
01 CROWN VIC

Re: Fuel delivery problem

Could it possibly be his fuel filter seeing as he lets the fuel get low between fillups?
prometheis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71