fuse chart for 1988 grand marquis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 18:47   #1 (permalink)

mad fuse chart for 1988 grand marquis

the original owner file 13'd the owners manual and all I want is the fuse chart. I don't feel that $25 + S&H to buy a new owners manual is worth my money just to see if the fuse that is missing is supposed to be 15 or 20 amp and whether or not the rest of the fuses are correct for that matter. The Chilton's I got doesn't have the chart and I haven't been able to find any other repair manuals for this car locally (everyone is sold out). Does ANYONE have this fuse chart and willing to post it?
slymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 17:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: fuse chart for 1988 grand marquis

apparently nobody knows this one either. It's nice to know that even the community that Ford has set up doesn't even know what fuses go where on the older cars. Looks like I'll have to continue to shell out more money to over come past idiots (first owner) because Ford didn't have the good sense to actually put a sticker on the panel that covers the fuse box to let owners know what fuse goes where without digging the manual out.

Thanks for nothing folks.
Old 09-26-2008, 17:34   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
It's nice to know that even the community that Ford has set up doesn't even know what fuses go where on the older cars.
Do you really think Ford set up this forum?

I'm sorry you did not find what you were looking for. I'm sure if someone had that info they would have posted it for you.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 14:16   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Do you really think Ford set up this forum?

I'm sorry you did not find what you were looking for. I'm sure if someone had that info they would have posted it for you.
wow... I got a response when I finally got peeved off for not getting one and said thanks for nothing.

ok... Ford links to (I got here from Ford's site and there was no info saying it wasn't theirs). Still hard to believe that nobody has this info... or the info about the air bag trouble codes in the other thread I posted here. I've seen info on the ford probe but I want confirmation whether the vic uses the same codes or not. Then I can hunt down the bum wire insulation/connector and fix it. The only thing I've found on these forums is "don't bugger the airbag system, take it to Ford and let a trained tech fix it." Well, piss off. It's not a constant code. This means that there's corrosion (which is easily removed) or resistive shorts via broken/wet insulation. I just need to know where to go looking. But since I haven't received an informed response to either question in over 2 weeks, I'm assuming that nobody here has the time or the knowledge to answer these questions. So I'm not going to waste any more time waiting for someone to finish and get the information posted.

having received nothing... thanks... for nothing. I'll be going now.
Old 09-28-2008, 15:37   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by slymer View Post
wow... I got a response when I finally got peeved off for not getting one and said thanks for nothing.

ok... Ford links to (I got here from Ford's site and there was no info saying it wasn't theirs). Still hard to believe that nobody has this info... or the info about the air bag trouble codes in the other thread I posted here. I've seen info on the ford probe but I want confirmation whether the vic uses the same codes or not. Then I can hunt down the bum wire insulation/connector and fix it. The only thing I've found on these forums is "don't bugger the airbag system, take it to Ford and let a trained tech fix it." Well, piss off. It's not a constant code. This means that there's corrosion (which is easily removed) or resistive shorts via broken/wet insulation. I just need to know where to go looking. But since I haven't received an informed response to either question in over 2 weeks, I'm assuming that nobody here has the time or the knowledge to answer these questions. So I'm not going to waste any more time waiting for someone to finish and get the information posted.

having received nothing... thanks... for nothing. I'll be going now.
Ahhhh yes!!!! And what have you done to contribute to this forum??? Oh I see, you have done two things very well...... 1-nothing, and 2- bitch. Good job!!! Why don't you stick around and help this forum instead of running off?
Have a nice day!
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:28   #6 (permalink)

mad Re: fuse chart for 1988 grand marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
Ahhhh yes!!!! And what have you done to contribute to this forum??? Oh I see, you have done two things very well...... 1-nothing, and 2- bitch. Good job!!! Why don't you stick around and help this forum instead of running off?
Have a nice day!
right... and how does a community generally get people to stay and contribute?

try and acknowledge the newbie's presence and possibly give some slight or hopeful guidance. oh wait... that never happened. all I got was the blank stare until I bitched. Maybe... just maybe I am being the squeaky wheel so I can get some oil, but instead I get more stares. and after looking around and seeing some easy questions in threads started well over a year ago, I posted my bitch comment because I figured I would never get an answer. Heck, I can deal with not having the rear defroster (which is what I'm guessing the missing fuse goes to since that's the only thing not working on this car and I'm not about to put a 30 amp fuse in there just to see if it works because I know about overloading electrical circuits and how fires can start). I seem to have been getting along ok without dealing with blank stares and I can continue. I'll just have to drop another yuppy food stamp ($20 from an ATM) or 2 and get a reproduction owners manual if I want to know that the fuses are correct. I always find it amazing how people love to help with the old classics or those brand new cars where all the info is online already, but the older late models seem to fall into the "we have no clue" or the "we don't care about that sled" categories. If/when I do get the info I seek, I will go back to every forum I've posted this on and post the complete listing for everyone's benefit, but as far as I'm concerned, this engineer has better things to do than to deal with people giving him blank stares.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:19   #7 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by slymer View Post
right... and how does a community generally get people to stay and contribute?

try and acknowledge the newbie's presence and possibly give some slight or hopeful guidance. oh wait... that never happened. all I got was the blank stare until I bitched. Maybe... just maybe I am being the squeaky wheel so I can get some oil, but instead I get more stares. and after looking around and seeing some easy questions in threads started well over a year ago, I posted my bitch comment because I figured I would never get an answer. Heck, I can deal with not having the rear defroster (which is what I'm guessing the missing fuse goes to since that's the only thing not working on this car and I'm not about to put a 30 amp fuse in there just to see if it works because I know about overloading electrical circuits and how fires can start). I seem to have been getting along ok without dealing with blank stares and I can continue. I'll just have to drop another yuppy food stamp ($20 from an ATM) or 2 and get a reproduction owners manual if I want to know that the fuses are correct. I always find it amazing how people love to help with the old classics or those brand new cars where all the info is online already, but the older late models seem to fall into the "we have no clue" or the "we don't care about that sled" categories. If/when I do get the info I seek, I will go back to every forum I've posted this on and post the complete listing for everyone's benefit, but as far as I'm concerned, this engineer has better things to do than to deal with people giving him blank stares.
Engineer? Sounds like your train is ready to come off the tracks. If you would take time to do a little homework, you would see that the handful of regular posters that reply to posts, are trying to help. BTW most of the time, the cover on the fuse block has the diagram for the fuses. Sometimes a sticker, and sometimes molded in the cover. Just because the p/o, or time has it missing doesn't mean Ford didn't put it there. Back in the day, so to speak, one could by a repair manual that covered all american cars for a seven year period and I would most likely have your info. Now the repair manuals usually cover two or three vehicles. Sorry I don't just happen to have one for your car. I do have ones for the vehicles I own. If you are going to work on your own vehicle, a manual comes in quite handy. Since it just seems like you're looking for a response to your question.....
Hi and welcome to the forums. I would be glad to post the info you seek, but I don't have it.(sorry) As far a some guidance, we don't usually direct someone to other forums, but your best bet would be to go to a vehicle specific forum. (Such as crown vic or merc. marquis forum.)
Have a nice day!
Old 10-14-2008, 19:39   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
Engineer? Sounds like your train is ready to come off the tracks. If you would take time to do a little homework, you would see that the handful of regular posters that reply to posts, are trying to help. BTW most of the time, the cover on the fuse block has the diagram for the fuses. Sometimes a sticker, and sometimes molded in the cover. Just because the p/o, or time has it missing doesn't mean Ford didn't put it there. Back in the day, so to speak, one could by a repair manual that covered all american cars for a seven year period and I would most likely have your info. Now the repair manuals usually cover two or three vehicles. Sorry I don't just happen to have one for your car. I do have ones for the vehicles I own. If you are going to work on your own vehicle, a manual comes in quite handy. Since it just seems like you're looking for a response to your question.....
Hi and welcome to the forums. I would be glad to post the info you seek, but I don't have it.(sorry) As far a some guidance, we don't usually direct someone to other forums, but your best bet would be to go to a vehicle specific forum. (Such as crown vic or merc. marquis forum.)
Have a nice day!
I have a repair manual (as I stated in the FIRST post)... it doesn't have the fuse charts (fuse box or fuse links). The car was designed with the info in the manual. No molding stamps, no fuse box stamps, no sticker. The manual had all the info. Now I have the manual ($35 for a skinny book with virtually no real info EXCEPT the fuse charts).

and without further adieu...

Fuse Box Chart

Fuse Link Chart 1

Fuse Link Chart 2

I plan on laminating a copy of the fuse box chart and gluing it to the backside of the cover plate (which is the knee panel under the steering wheel)

[side rant] why on God's green Earth did Ford make the intake manifold of the EFI 302 with the vacuum lines UNDER the plenum (upper intake) and JUST out of reach. it's a 2 hour job just to change the vacuum line that goes to the manifold pressure sensor. They could have easily extended those 2 pipes to the edge of the plenum and made it a 10 minute job. 2 hours for a bloody inch of tubing. And it's the same story on the 281 that's in my Vic, except instead of a vacuum line it's the heater pipe that has 2 inches of rubber hose from the backside of the water pump. Why not a compression fitting there? to replace that $30 pipe with the 2 inches of rubber, you have to completely remove the entire intake. At least on carbureted engines everything was at least sort of within reach as far as hoses were concerned. This isn't totally limited to Fords though. Just about every car made in the last 20 years seems to hide half the engine accessories behind some plastic panel of sorts. just try to find all the vacuum connections (other than climate controls... those go through the firewall) and you'll find that at least 4-8 hoses go under/behind the wheel wells/bumper covers out of reach on many vehicles without removing the wheel well/bumper covers. BAH! I'm never paying someone over $700 to change a $30 part again. It's f'n ridiculous. (which is why my back currently hurts... I replaced the vacuum hoses on the bottom of the 302's plenum last night and it took me all of 2 hours to get it done.)
Old 10-15-2008, 04:04   #9 (permalink)
Always the student

I understand the rant. The engineers that design these things definitely don't have to work on them. And, as you stated, it's not only Fords. Thanks for the info. you posted and glad to see you back.
Old 04-25-2009, 17:50   #10 (permalink)

Slymer,

Thank you for posting the pages from the owner's manual on fuses. I had about given up on finding them online. The horn relay on my 1988 Crown Vic has shorted and if there is battery power, it blows. This is a car that my mother bought new in 1988. She gave it to my son before she died. It had about 30K miles on it then. It has about 65K, now. It's been sitting at my house through the gas crunch, but now he is thinking about selling it, so I'm getting it back in good running order.

I was able to remove fuse 16, with the help of the diagrams and other posted information. I put a new battery in and the car started right up. Still runs really smooth. Now, I've got to find the horn relay and replace it.

Then, replace the brake line to the rear brakes, repair A/C, put on a new half vinly roof, and she'll be like new. Nice white car with dark red vinyl roof and dark maroon leather interior.

I may keep if for myself.

Frank Hamilton
frankhamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71