fusible link (alternator) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 18:25   #1 (permalink)
markelemon

fusible link (alternator)

Hello ladies and gents. I don't know if you all remember but back in July I was having charging issues with my Crown Vic. I finally ended u changing he alternator. Well, yesterday while I was driving, the lil red battery light came on, I started losing power and shortly, I lost lights, gauges, everything. I JUST BOUGHT a new alternator in August! So I did some research and figured it could be a fusible link (or a battery). Reading up on the fusible link, it talks about cutting wires, splicing, crimping, soldering, etc...I guess I have two questions about this fusible link..First off, where is it? And secondly, would it be better (if even possible) to buy the wire with the link already in it? Cuz I don't know how to solder, even if I had that sort of equipment. Thank you for your time.
Mark
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 19:19   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: fusible link (alternator)

Should be just off of the alternator, not always quite obivous. Last time I replaced one, I just bought a 6' roll (smallest quantity in the shop at the time) and crimped it on. Of course this was on a 1980 Datsun 200SX, don't know if there's anything that negates that way of doing things. Oh, and I ended up with about 5'8" laying in my tool box for years and years until I finally threw it away.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:41   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: fusible link (alternator)

The fusible link is located between the battery and the fuse/breaker box. Fusible links don't melt-down unless there is a short, and they are usually easily spotted by checking for a burnt spot and loss of continuity in the wiring harness.

You should find and fix the short before replacing the link. If the short is in the main wiring harness, then you should consider replacing the entire harness as it's overall condition would be questionable. That will also take care of the fusible link replacement.

Beware, wiring harnesses are expensive. Make sure that's the problem before throwing money at the problem.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71