gear swap - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 14:56   #1 (permalink)

gear swap

I am in the process of installing 3.55 gears into my 2002CV. My question is: Will I need to do anything to the PCM or will it adjust itself to the new gears. It being electronic controlled, I figure that its probably smart enough to allow for a range of gears such as 3.27-3.55.

Has anyone else gone from 2.73 to 3.55... if so, please share your experience. Was it a good idea? Were you pleased? Did you make any other changes.. Thanks
Gemini Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 19:58   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: gear swap

You'll need to change the speedometer gear, that's all I can think of. You'll lose highway cruising and gas mileage, but much quicker coming off the line.
Old 09-05-2013, 19:58   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: gear swap

I have not gone lower than 3:27's, which are stock in HPP cars, but have installed gears as low as 3:73's in Mustangs. The PCM was not affected, nor was the 4r70 in the CV. The Mustang was a stick.

You will lose your speed control if you go lower than 3:27, but your speedometer can be corrected. Check the current Ford Racing and Power Products (FRPP) catalog for the speedometer correction plug in. It electronically corrects the difference in your signal generator caused by the gear change, kind of like changing speedometer gears in older transmissions

As for the ratio that works best, it's all about what you want the car to do. 3:27's are a good compromise gear for performance and mileage in a daily driver, but of course, the lower the gear (3:55 or 3:73) the better the car will accelerate.

Your torque converter stall speed is also something to consider. You can run a "looser" torque converter with higher rear end gears and get the same 0-60 times as with lower rear gears, but still get fair mileage and top end in a daily driver.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71