Gen info on crown vic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 18:07   #1 (permalink)
Dep

Gen info on crown vic

Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum, please forgive me in my attempt to navigate my way around. I just purchased a 2000 crown vic... from my mommy. I would like to find some info on it. How much HP, how to check for axle codes, how can I replace single exhaust with dual. Some questions to hopefully start me off. Thanks, kenny
Dep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 18:51   #2 (permalink)

Re: Gen info on crown vic

Welcome!

Your 2000 CV with single exhaust will have about 190 horsepower (210 or so with dual exhaust).

The axle ratio can be found by looking at the sticker on the driver's door. There should be a section of the sticker that says "AX". Underneath that you'll see either a letter or a number that can be translated into the rear axle ratio, as well as telling you whether it's an open differential or a limited slip. Unfortunately I don't know the codes for the newer style cars, but I'm sure it's floating around the net somewhere, so you should be able to figure that part out.

For dual exhaust, depending on what your budget is, you can do stock factory dual exhaust, or upgrade to a better system (I'm not sure if there's aftermarket stuff for the newer cars or not; I'm more of a "box" style guy). The factory duals would be easiest, all you'd have to do is get an H-pipe, another muffler, and a tailpipe for the other side of the car. The H will bolt directly to your factory downpipes, and you should find that the hangers are there on the other side for the other tailpipe.

Any more questions, feel free to ask!

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 16:09   #3 (permalink)
Dep

thanks nathan. I've been looking everywhere for some info and have gotten anything from 190 to 235 hp. I used to own a 96 caprice 9c1 and I would like to get some power out of the crown about the same if possible. kenny
Old 10-30-2007, 20:03   #4 (permalink)

235 horsepower is right, but not for your year. In 2001, Ford updated the 4.6L engine with a different intake and heads. They're known as the PI (Performance Improved) heads and intake. You might look into swapping those onto your car.

Past that, I really don't know a whole lot about 4.6 performance. You might check out Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Marauder, and Towncar for better information on the newer stuff. Lots of expertise over there. Good luck!

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2bbl Carbureted 351W V8, ported and polished E7TE heads, Edelbrock cam
AOD Transmission with B&M Shift Kit
3.55:1 Positraction Rear Axle
Visit My Car Domain Account Here Updated 1/27/07!
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:49   #5 (permalink)

2000 CV will have 200hp&275ft/lbs tq with single exhaust and 215hp/285ft/lbs tq with duals. You can have the duals from any local salvage yard. Go and get them off of a wrecked cruiser. As Nathan mentioned, Crownvic.net is the place to find a lot of info on these cars. The favored method of waking up these beasts is the MZT mod as it's referred to over at crownvic.net. Mercury Marauder Airbox w/ 80mm MAF; 2004 PI Zip Tube; and a tune. The tune is necessary when making the jump from the stock 70mm MAF to the 80mm MAF. Not only that, but it will strenghen other aspects of the car: more aggressive timing; firmer and higher rpm shifts; removal of speed governor, etc. You can find these parts at ADTR.net and/or blueovalchips.com. These guys have stuff particularly for our vehicles. The tuner at blueovalchips is a guy named Lonnie who specializes in tuning our cars. This combo will run you around $600. It is by far the best bang for buck mod you can do. Additionally, underdrive pulleys are a big favorite with the crownvic.net crowd as are gears. You more than likely have a 2.73 rear end if you have a civilian model Vic. They are great on gas mileage and highway cruising, but don't help with low end torque which the 4.6L struggles at. Some 3.55s would be a nice mod as well. You'd notice a much more peppier car within the lower power band.

'99 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
-Completed full PI swap
-Marauder Airbox & 80mm MAF
-'04 CVPI Ziptube
-ADTR ported plenum
-Steeda Intake Spacer
-BOC tune
-J-Mod tranny
dryelf327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 16:06   #6 (permalink)
Dep

Well i appreciate the informational help. I'll start calling around tomorrow. Thanks, kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71