Getting a Grand Marquis - What should I look out for? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 08:39   #1 (permalink)

Getting a Grand Marquis - What should I look out for?

In two weeks time I will have in my driveway a 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. It has 120K (driven by an 80 year old who traveled to Floridia constantly). I test drove this thing and was like WOWEE, i'm 18 but wow i feel like retiring in the bahamas. So the only thing I noticed that was wrong with it, the brakes squeaked as i was going in reverse out of the driveway. But it stopped after i was on the road.

Is that something to worry about?

Also what are some well known problems with this engine and trans?
Is there any preventive care tips specifically for this car?

I wanna take car of this big beauty and hopefully make it last $6000 worth.
lostboykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 12:30   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Getting a Grand Marquis - What should I look out for?

They last a long time. There's a cab company in Pa. that had a 1995 with 630,000 miles and some 1998s with over 400,000 miles. Use the service details in the owners manusl for servicing and you'll go a long way. Good mileage onthe road too.
Old 05-25-2011, 18:39   #3 (permalink)

Hi and welcome to the site.

Quote:
I test drove this thing and was like WOWEE, i'm 18 but wow i feel like retiring in the bahamas.
That got me laughing,had to share with the ol' lady too.

What Bert says above,plus I alway check/replace the brakes on a used car as a first action.(Don't ask why I learned to do this).
Then I replace the engine oil, transmission fluid,differential lube and check the coolant concentration with one of those cheap testers and bring it up to 50/50 if necessary.(I have purchased cars with just water as a coolant and this will cause problems including internal RUST,boil-overs,freezing and water pump failure).

I am new to these late model Fords so I can't help you with particular trouble spots plus my 2001 only had 25K geezer miles when I bought it (now 30K geezer miles) in Oct. and it has no problems really.

The self pick junkyard here is full of these cars with 4-500K miles on the odo.
Brian
Old 05-26-2011, 22:01   #4 (permalink)
Pantherholic

Garage

i am curious if the intake has been replaced with the one having the aluminum crossover istead of all plastic... i am not sure when they started, but know they are issue...

my 1986 Grand Marquis LS... Rose...
87_Crown_Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:16   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Those plastic manifolds were an issue but mine still has the plastic one and it has 154,000 miles. Just be watchful for it.
Old 05-27-2011, 13:28   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
What Bert says above,plus I alway check/replace the brakes on a used car as a first action.(Don't ask why I learned to do this).
Then I replace the engine oil, transmission fluid,differential lube and check the coolant concentration with one of those cheap testers and bring it up to 50/50 if necessary.(I have purchased cars with just water as a coolant and this will cause problems including internal RUST,boil-overs,freezing and water pump failure).a
I will check the service records to see when he last did an oil change and other maintenance. I know the guy, he was religious with his upkeep.

By-the-way, when i took a look at the car he showed me a spot on the side that had clear coat chipping of (very small). I was just told today he got it fixed for me free of charge. And also he's going to be doing a full service detail on it too. Not to mention the car has a hitch assembly, and the old geazers throwing in a bike rack. Can you believe that?!

Quote:
i am curious if the intake has been replaced with the one having the aluminum crossover istead of all plastic... i am not sure when they started, but know they are issue...
This is the intake manifold for my car:

EDIT: The picture of above is a Dorman replacement. The original is ALL plastic
Old 05-27-2011, 15:30   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That is the correct replacement for the car. I'm not going to replace mine unless it starts to leak.
Old 05-28-2011, 21:50   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
That is the correct replacement for the car. I'm not going to replace mine unless it starts to leak.
Well if that does happen there's a very detailed step by step on how to replace this intake manifold.

IN MIND BLISTERING HD!
Old 05-29-2011, 16:57   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Not to mention the car has a hitch assembly......
You should be aware that a car used to tow may be more prone to develop drive line problems. I would drive it around and listen for any whine or other unusual noises in the rear end.
Also with the car stationary and your foot on the brakes, shift from reverse to drive and back again and listen for loud clunk noises.
Check that the transmission fluid doesn't look brownish and that it doesn't have a "burnt" smell.
Post here if you find any of the above symptoms.-Brian
Old 05-29-2011, 22:54   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeaks2001 View Post
You should be aware that a car used to tow may be more prone to develop drive line problems. I would drive it around and listen for any whine or other unusual noises in the rear end.
Also with the car stationary and your foot on the brakes, shift from reverse to drive and back again and listen for loud clunk noises.
Check that the transmission fluid doesn't look brownish and that it doesn't have a "burnt" smell.
Post here if you find any of the above symptoms.-Brian
I'll check that out when I get the car. Although I don't think they ever towed anything. They don't own anything except for that bike rack attachment.

By-the-way, here is my car!

It's silver with a hint of green. Just boot-E-full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71