Glad To Be Here - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2004, 22:12   #1 (permalink)
The Grand Marquis Man

Glad To Be Here

I bought the 2004 LS Ultimate in October after having owned two previous Grand Marquis - the first was a 1988 LS purchased new, and the second was a 1987 LS purchased in 2002.

Having been used to the 1980's technology for almost 2 decades, I, as many new Grand Marquis owners here have stated, was surprised at the differences between the older cars and the new.

In another thread, someone complained about the harsh ride. My wife I and noticed this, too, and I chalked it up to the kind of suspension that today's drivers want. But let me tell you, the stiffer ride translates into much better handling. I'm able to turn into curves at higher speeds with no leaning, and even my passengers noticed the improvement.

With dual exhaust and 239 horsepower, this new car is a bolt of lightning at the starting gate. It is so much more refreshing than the 150 horsepower of the two older cars. I can accelerate out of trouble, if I choose, just as easily as braking out of trouble.

And those ABS brakes. Whoa. Early this week, when one lane of traffic was halted and I was passing in an adjacent lane, some jerk bolted out in front of me. I slammed on the brakes, and the power assist feature applied full braking pressure. I expected to slide, with wheels locked, into the bogey. But I was almost literally stopping on a dime. My wife commented that it was a good thing that no one was tailgating me.

But, my wife and I are more accustomed to cruising with the speed control engaged. What a pleasant experience, the car tracks straight and true. Hills are not a problem; this car will step down one, even two gears to overcome gravity to maintain my selected speed.

The exhaust note. It sounds almost like a Mustang, although not as deep. Very satisfying sound.

I've got 2500 miles on it so far, and I am very pleased with every feature - except one. I am big and tall, and I have no room for my left foot. When I did the panic stop as mentioned above, I pressed the brake pedal down onto my left foot. It was painful. Ford needs to continue its R&D to provide more legroom for tall drivers.

That's it, no more complaints. The new Grand Marquis is much improved over the older models. I joined this forum in order to learn how other drivers are experiencing their new cars.

I hope to talk to all of you soon,
Charles
crobinso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2004, 10:57   #2 (permalink)

Re: Glad To Be Here

I hate the harsh ride, but I didn't buy the car for handling. I wanted a RWD luxury car. I had a 74 Marquis Brougham and it was a really nice car, but you just can't find that anymore. It seems that everyone wants sports cars or SUVs. It figures that the first time on my life that I can afford a new car, what I want is no longer on the market.

It does have a healthy "passing gear" like the 60's cars, which comes in handy on a two-lane road.

We took it to Vegas, about 450 miles, and by the time I got done driving there, my left hand ached. The alignment is fine, but it has so much "road feel" that just making minor corrections in steering takes a lot of hand pressure. I wonder if there is some way to loosen the steering up on the rack and pinions system like there was in the glory days of pitman arm boxes, where you loosened that screw on the top and made it drive like a Cadillac. Seriously, the stiff steering is a major problem for me.

ABS brakes, I agree. They really saved me recently when someone made a left turn out in front of me.

I don't like the pedals either, even with the electric adjust, they don't go back far enough. Another big problem is that they have the brake pedal behind (actually in front of, as you look at it) the gas pedal and you have to bring your foot back and find it. That could be dangerous. I also found that by the time I got the seat back far enough to be comfortable, I couldn't reach the radio controls, and the steering wheel was too far forward. They should have made it telescoping as well as tilting. Of course if you have the Ultimate model, you have radio controls in the steering wheel. I have the Premium model that doesn't have that.

All things considered, I'm mostly satisfied with the car, for driving around town. One thing that would make a big difference in the ride would be more comfortable seats. I'm going to see if I can create an add-on cushion with a pillow top like my 78 Deville had. Much of the smooth ride of a luxury car is perceived through the seat cushions. I do like the reclining seats that go all of the way into the back seat. I was actually able to get some sleep while my husband drove us back. However, I ended up with a sore butt after 7 hours in the driver's seat.

-morella
Morella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:46   #3 (permalink)

Re: Glad To Be Here

Welcome to the Ford Crown Victoria Area
Sorry but I have an older ride
1995 Ford Crown Vic.
But maybe other members can give u a hand.

Greg
GMACK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71