Glasspacks - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 17:00   #1 (permalink)

Arrow Glasspacks

Im interested in throwing some glasspacks on my CVPI 2004, as I cannot yet afford to do an entire exhaust modification but still want that nice beefy sound out of her. I am having a hard time finding the actual inlet tube size because some sites w/ replacement parts go from 2", 2.25", and 2.5" inlet and outlet replacement mufflers. So what is stock inlet size?

I would just go under the car but after working on the rear bearings, I found out that I pulled a lower back muscle >:( and have had to keep on a steady regiment of pain management.

I want to keep the stock pipes on her, I have true duallies, with stock H-pipe for crossover. Anyone had experience with Cherry Bomb Glasspacks vs. mufflers by MagnaFlow/Dynomax/Etc... Im trying to get a nice throaty sound, as the current setup is pretty much silent. All I want to do Is replace the muffler right now and I have heard that the cherries will burn out after awhile, so Is there a muffler out there that will give me what I want without doing the whole exhaust just yet? Direct bolt in preffered!
Kithrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2009, 04:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: Glasspacks

There has to be 400 links to exhaust sounds for Crown vics you can hear on YouTube. This is but 1
Stick462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:31   #3 (permalink)

I just put a cherry bomb glasspack on my '98 cv with single exhaust. I like the sound of it, but be prepared for i little bit of drone at certain rpm under normal acceleration. If you tromp on it all the time dont worry about the drone. I used a 2" inlet/outlet about 23.5" overall length. My tailpipe exits out the side infront of the rear tire so i'm not sure as to how well it will fit on the factory tailpipe because the factory muffler is center inlet/offset outlet. Also, when you cut of the muffler there is not alot of room left to clamp on the glasspack, it will probably have to be welded on. Whatever you decide to do good luck.

Evan
evanm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:15   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like fun
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 21:12   #5 (permalink)

Hello evanm33. Your car seems nice and good. I think you can upgrade it more. :D
makindue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 19:50   #6 (permalink)

I like the stock exhaust on mine. I just bought a 97 cv lx with 170k on it for $700 with my 98 ranger as a trade in. When I do put different exhaust on it I will be using pypes M80 mufflers with stock piping.
ericRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:01   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

"My tailpipe exits out the side in front of my rear tire"!!! Have you checked your rear tire temps with a pyrometer lately?
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 13:02   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajarider View Post
"My tailpipe exits out the side in front of my rear tire"!!! Have you checked your rear tire temps with a pyrometer lately?
Haha No, do you really think it will heat the tire up a significant amount?

Either way, that setup only lasted a few months. The drone got to be too much and driving on gravel roads really beat up the pipe. I put the original tail pipe back on. It didn't fit perfect because the stock muffle had an offset and the glasspack doesn't but it works and these is no drone anymore.

You can find glasspacks with angled inlet/outlet that would work better when just replacing the muffler and leaving the rest of the exhaust system stock.

Btw, I'm still using the same glasspack that I put on in '09. I don't notice that it sounds burnt out but maybe I just got used to it.

Evan
evanm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 14:21   #9 (permalink)

I've got a 1978 Grand Marquis I put a glasspack muffler on, mainly because I needed a new muffler, and it was cheap. It makes the big 400M pushrod engine sound like a truck motor. (Probably because it pretty much is a truck motor). A 4.6L may be different, but a 400 breathing out a glasspack is loud. Make sure that's what you want before you put on on your car.
rea98d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71

Related Reading: Glasspacks