Grand Marquis '98 Battery Light Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 23:48   #1 (permalink)

Grand Marquis '98 Battery Light Problem

Hi,
I have a problem with the battery light coming on and staying on when I start the car. It stays on for about 3 miles then goes off and on randomly for another half mile then goes off altogether as normal. It has had a new alternator fitted so I know its not that. I have checked the battery connections too and they seem fine.
Any help would be appreciated as I am unfamiliar with this car.
Thanks.
wivelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 07:37   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Grand Marquis '98 Battery Light Problem

If it was doing that before the new alternator, there has to be a connection problem somewhere. The grounds are in the circuit too. Make sure they are good.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:48   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
If it was doing that before the new alternator, there has to be a connection problem somewhere. The grounds are in the circuit too. Make sure they are good.
I will check the grounds and report back.
wivelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 19:32   #4 (permalink)

I have the same problem and the dealer told me it was a module problem, but not sure what module he was talking about. I was going to ask if anyone knew what module it might be??
cnwrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 21:29   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I don't know what module they're talking about. Maybe they mean something in the instrument cluster. There isn't a module there but maybe a connection problem. There's only a bulb and wiring in the cluster.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:32   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
What/where would all these grounds be that you are talking about? My car that has this same problem plus a bunch of others could be a ground issue as well.(So I have been told) I found out it has had a new motor put in and I see one ground from the motor to the fire wall and the the battery is going to the body and motor as well. Any others needed and where? Thanks.
justinlogue5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 14:08   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Those are the main grounds for the charging system. There can also be connection problems in the connectors from the alternator through the instrument panel, ignition switch back to the battery. Here's the diagram for the charging circuit. What other problems do you have?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:52   #8 (permalink)

I am the guy with the ac problems and now car won't start at all since fuel pump refuses to come on. Even after a new computer was installed.
justinlogue5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71