Handling in snow? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 16:44   #1 (permalink)

Handling in snow?

Hey I was wondering if anyone does anything special for driving in snow? I have a 2004 CV and I have weight in the back. But just wondering how everyone else likes there car in the snow?
interceptor04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 16:50   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Handling in snow?

I can't say because we don't get snow to drive in here. It usually doesn't stick on the roads. Somebody will know here though.
Old 01-10-2011, 16:52   #3 (permalink)

Usually i would suggest snow tires or chains depending on conditions. personally I find that if im on snow i cant use 2nd gear. I have to go from 1st to 3rd or else my wheels start to slip.
AutomediaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 16:59   #4 (permalink)

We get a lot of snow here, and snow tires are a must, especially on a rear-wheel drive car. Even with them the car doesn't perform well in the snow, but without them a lot of driving becomes almost impossible. Studs help a lot but I don't like the noise so I haven't used them since I had a Mustang years ago.
Bob1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 15:22   #5 (permalink)

I just purchase a 95 grand marquis it has 4 snow tires an all around Good Year Nortic's. It has to be the worst handling vehicle that I ever had to drive. Could there be something wrong with the front end or the rear end that would make the handle this way. The snow tires are not showing any type of unusual wear. Except he did throw in a second set of tires and the rear ones are worn down on the insides. They could of been on the front at one point I cannot say for sure. Any help would be great thanks for reading my post.
cb
kallio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 16:10   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallio View Post
Could there be something wrong with the front end or the rear end that would make the handle this way. The snow tires are not showing any type of unusual wear. Except he did throw in a second set of tires and the rear ones are worn down on the insides.
cb
Alignment problems may show up worse when it's icy/snowy out...that's for sure! If you previously only drove FWD cars, a RWD car will seem quite different and you have to learn to drive differently. If your rear tires are partially worn, that means less forward traction. If the fronts are better, you might think about rotating them.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:44   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

With the abnormal wear on tyres , would be advisable to get a full geometry / alignment check , and if out , check suspension / steering for wear before adjusting to correct settings .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:15   #8 (permalink)

Thank you for the replies, I was thinking that there has to be a problem. The car has a reputation of being like a tank I wasn't expecting this. This is my first G/M and I just love the car otherwise wanted one for sometime.
I guess looking back on this I should of started my own post. I apologize to the original poster. I am new to this site as of yesterday did a search and came across your post.
Does the car have some usual suspension issues. Or I should rephrase it to say normal issues that effect the suspension or alignment. I see that the car has rear air bag suspension but the front doesn't.
Again thanks and any information is just great.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:02   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The car is pretty much the same as a Crown Vic and the Police wouldn't drive them if they were that bad. I'd say to have the alignent checked. They check for loose parts during the work.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:14   #10 (permalink)

Well the mechanic found a loose tie rod or worn tie rod on the right front wheel. He said the that would contribute to the poor handling and tire wear. The rest of the front end was good and unremarkable. Thats good news I will still get a aligment done to insure everthing is facing in the same direction.
Thanks for the help to all the replied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71