Ford Forums banner

Handling in snow?

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  floater3 
#1 ·
Hey I was wondering if anyone does anything special for driving in snow? I have a 2004 CV and I have weight in the back. But just wondering how everyone else likes there car in the snow?

#4 ·
We get a lot of snow here, and snow tires are a must, especially on a rear-wheel drive car. Even with them the car doesn't perform well in the snow, but without them a lot of driving becomes almost impossible. Studs help a lot but I don't like the noise so I haven't used them since I had a Mustang years ago.

#5 ·
:hit::driver:I just purchase a 95 grand marquis it has 4 snow tires an all around Good Year Nortic's. It has to be the worst handling vehicle that I ever had to drive. Could there be something wrong with the front end or the rear end that would make the handle this way. The snow tires are not showing any type of unusual wear. Except he did throw in a second set of tires and the rear ones are worn down on the insides. They could of been on the front at one point I cannot say for sure. Any help would be great thanks for reading my post.
cb

#6 ·
Could there be something wrong with the front end or the rear end that would make the handle this way. The snow tires are not showing any type of unusual wear. Except he did throw in a second set of tires and the rear ones are worn down on the insides.
cb
Alignment problems may show up worse when it's icy/snowy out...that's for sure! If you previously only drove FWD cars, a RWD car will seem quite different and you have to learn to drive differently. If your rear tires are partially worn, that means less forward traction. If the fronts are better, you might think about rotating them.

#8 ·
Thank you for the replies, I was thinking that there has to be a problem. The car has a reputation of being like a tank I wasn't expecting this. This is my first G/M and I just love the car otherwise wanted one for sometime.
I guess looking back on this I should of started my own post. I apologize to the original poster. I am new to this site as of yesterday did a search and came across your post.
Does the car have some usual suspension issues. Or I should rephrase it to say normal issues that effect the suspension or alignment. I see that the car has rear air bag suspension but the front doesn't.
Again thanks and any information is just great.

#10 ·
Well the mechanic found a loose tie rod or worn tie rod on the right front wheel. He said the that would contribute to the poor handling and tire wear. The rest of the front end was good and unremarkable. Thats good news I will still get a aligment done to insure everthing is facing in the same direction.
Thanks for the help to all the replied.:driver:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.