Has anybody wired a crown vic for 7 pin? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 13:15   #1 (permalink)

Has anybody wired a crown vic for 7 pin?

I did wire my car with a flat 4 pin when I installed the hitch but I am considering buying a small single axle 17" camper and it has 7 pin wiring, so now I am thinking maybe I should just do it properly and run a nice 7 pin setup. If you guys have done this where do you think a good spot would be to mount the plug? It looks like it will be tough to find a spot that works and looks good.
lt1tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 07:12   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Has anybody wired a crown vic for 7 pin?

I'm not sure about the wiring, but the trailer your interested in has electric brakes. You can get trailers (generally pop up type) that come with surge brakes which can allow you to keep the 4 pin connector. There are some 4 to 7 pin adapters which will allow you to use the lights, but not the electric brakes.

Most people prefer surge brakes because there's less involved, not just the wiring. Under or around the drivers dash, you'll have to buy a good ($100-200) trailer brake controller to keep tabs on the electric brake(s), and that has to be wired into the trailer electrical system which isn't a small easy task, even for small shops if they do the work for you.

A trailer hitch center might have spare parts (brake controller, proper wires) that they can sell you used to save on costs. Hopefully that gives you some insight on the involvement. It seems easy enough, but to do it yourself is a whole different ballgame let alone to get the brakes working together. BUT YOU GOTTA STOP! - Trailer Brakes: Electric vs. Hydraulic Surge - RedTrailers.com

Hopefully someone who has done this install took some photos to give you a hand. Keep in mind the latest CVs are only rated to tow 1000-2000lbs. Older versions before the rear suspension went to the Watts Linkage could haul much more. http://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-...rown-vic-4481/
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!

Last edited by 360ci; 01-15-2012 at 07:14. Reason: added on
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:59   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
I'm not sure about the wiring, but the trailer your interested in has electric brakes. You can get trailers (generally pop up type) that come with surge brakes which can allow you to keep the 4 pin connector. There are some 4 to 7 pin adapters which will allow you to use the lights, but not the electric brakes.

Most people prefer surge brakes because there's less involved, not just the wiring. Under or around the drivers dash, you'll have to buy a good ($100-200) trailer brake controller to keep tabs on the electric brake(s), and that has to be wired into the trailer electrical system which isn't a small easy task, even for small shops if they do the work for you.

A trailer hitch center might have spare parts (brake controller, proper wires) that they can sell you used to save on costs. Hopefully that gives you some insight on the involvement. It seems easy enough, but to do it yourself is a whole different ballgame let alone to get the brakes working together. BUT YOU GOTTA STOP! - Trailer Brakes: Electric vs. Hydraulic Surge - RedTrailers.com

Hopefully someone who has done this install took some photos to give you a hand. Keep in mind the latest CVs are only rated to tow 1000-2000lbs. Older versions before the rear suspension went to the Watts Linkage could haul much more. http://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-...rown-vic-4481/
First off, the guy is only buying a 17 INCH camper! Why does he need brakes? LOL!

But, my question is, why are these cars rated for so low? V-8 power, full frame, etc! I used to haul a 22 FOOT camper with my '77 LTD just fine! And, what is the suspension change you mention? Even with that, what about a load distributing hitch? That is what I used on my LTD.

John
2000GMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 13:36   #4 (permalink)
canuck

I'm not sure about what this "watts linkage" entails, but knowingly Ford used low cost components to save on weight, and costs. Besides, most CV's were built for government/fleet use, and most fleets who purchase cars don't tow with them. The older style (1988 generation) could tow a couple tons with a WD hitch and not think twice about it as it had a proper solid rear axle that could take the punishment.

Scroll down to the "Second generation (1998–2011)" section here: Ford Crown Victoria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 02-01-2012, 18:55   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
I'm not sure about what this "watts linkage" entails, but knowingly Ford used low cost components to save on weight, and costs. Besides, most CV's were built for government/fleet use, and most fleets who purchase cars don't tow with them. The older style (1988 generation) could tow a couple tons with a WD hitch and not think twice about it as it had a proper solid rear axle that could take the punishment.

Scroll down to the "Second generation (1998–2011)" section here: Ford Crown Victoria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That was actually very interesting reading. I never knew they had a 'long wheelbase' version! That would make it almost (short by 1") as long as my '77 LTD's wheelbase!

Yep, they never should have quit making these.......

John
2000GMLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 20:40   #6 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GMLS View Post
That was actually very interesting reading. I never knew they had a 'long wheelbase' version! That would make it almost (short by 1") as long as my '77 LTD's wheelbase!

Yep, they never should have quit making these.......

John
Long wheelbase bullet proof edition! ...too bad they didn't sell it with the 5.4L V8.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71