heating problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 19:36   #1 (permalink)

heating problem

update

I bypassed the blower switch in the car and this did not change anything. I then again replaced the blower motor. I now have decent air coming out the floor but very little out the defrost and vents. Just enough to keep the car somewhat warm. Does any one know of a resistor that would be any part of the heating system. My local dealer checked for me and said that they do not list one but that does not mean it doesn't have one that also control somthing else. Again any recomendations are greatly appriciated as this is just kicking my A** trying to get enough heat in the car.

I have a 1990 MGM with manual heating controls and do not have enough heat coming into the car. The air I am getting seems like it would be on low speed. Not enough to keep me warm at all. I have done the following so far after reading other posts.

Replaced radiator and hoses. (rad was leaking)
replaced thermostat
replaced blower motor, blower switch, blower resistor.
I also removed the A/C core thinking that maybe this was blocked up do to what I could see with the blower motor out was nothing but bugs and junk in the visible fins.
I do have just as much heat coming out the heater core as what I have going into it when the car is warmed up. Is there any thing else I should look at or is there a way to test the resistor or the switch. The next chance I get I am going to run a wire direct to the blower motor to see what I get. I would assume that this would make the blower motor run on high speed? which would tell me if the new blower motor is bad.

Any help would be greatly appriciated as I would like to keep this car as it was my wifes Grandfathers.

Last edited by dannyda; 01-21-2009 at 09:19. Reason: update
dannyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 21:06   #2 (permalink)

Re: heating problem

check your heat and air controls.some of the parts can loosen.make sure everything is connected.
thundercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28   #3 (permalink)

Checked connections over and over. Today I tried to run the blower motor off the battery but for some reason I did not get anything from the blower. I did find that the cable that open's/closes the door for heat must be stretched slightly. I used a screw driver to make sure this door was open or closed for heat. Only got very little movement out of it moving it to the right, but now I do have heat. Still unable to determine why I am not getting much air through any of the vents, floor or defrost. Fan seems to be on low but I can hear the fan change speeds as I push the knob up. Also I can see all my actuators move that control were the air is directed.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:47   #4 (permalink)

Today I swapped Relays around. The one under the hood and the one under the dash on the driveres side. Never had so much air coming out the defrost. Still think I should have more air but have made some progress.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:05   #5 (permalink)
Ozzy

did you check for blocked vents when i baught my 92 crown vic didnt have much air comming out vents only defrost and floor when i took off vents there were rags stuffed inside. i contacted the previous owner and he told me that the heater core was gone so they stuffed rags in all the openings replaced the heater core and forgot the rags its a long shot but ive seen stranger things.
Old 01-27-2009, 15:14   #6 (permalink)

Iv thought about blockages and as far as I can access things I can't find anything. Blew vents and defrost out as best I could a couple of weeks ago. I went and picked up a new relay and tried but it did not increase the air coming out. Thought I had somthing there because that was the first time I could actually feel air coming out somewhere other than the floor. Today I disconnected the resistor to see what would happen and with that disconnected nothing changed. That was a good thought though.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:17   #7 (permalink)

The latest on this problem

Thursday I put in a new starter selinoid, but did not drive car afterwards.
Friday I took the car and for the first 15 minutes I had lots of air coming out the vents. I could feel the air out past the steering wheel. Sitting at a red light in town the the air just all of a sudden decreased. I could hear it as it went from high to low just like that. The rest of my trip was spent with the air barley coming out.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:34   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Does it sound like the fan is still blowing the same speed or like something stopped the flow?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:12   #9 (permalink)

I heard the fan actually slow down really quick like I had just turned it down manually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71