High output alternator for 1990 marquis LS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2004, 22:39   #1 (permalink)

High output alternator for 1990 marquis LS

I'm installing a audio system in my marquis next week, in this system I want to use at least a 1,200watt amp for my sub's.

I'm searching for a alternator that will give me more prower then the stock one (which IIRC is rated at 65amp's). I'd like to get about 200+amp's out of my alt but I can find anyone making high preformance alternators for my car :(

The engine type is the 5.0l EFI (iirc), if that is not enough info let me know, I don't pretend to know everything about cars!
Brad.loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2004, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
That guy

Re: High output alternator for 1990 marquis LS

If your hooking amps up in your car you don't have to worry about the alt. The amplifiers take the amps they get and increase it too what the out put rating is. If you wire it up correctly you should have no problem.

BlueSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 23:22   #3 (permalink)

I'm planning on doing more mods that will suck up alot of power also, I'd like to get a bigger alt now instead of having to worry about it later when im planning new mods. :)
Old 12-15-2004, 01:16   #4 (permalink)

When the amps peak, ie bass beats etc, that is when the amp draws heaps of current for short instance. You will notice dash lights etc will drop for split second each time this happens (like a disco). What you do is get a 1 farad capacitor which builds up and stores charge in prep for next beat. With this in circut of your amp's power supply, your electrical system wont suffer and your amp will have the power it needs when it needs it.

Dmax
Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:34   #5 (permalink)

Dmax:

I seen one used in car that was having trouble with the lights dimming durring play, more so at high volumes with the system was using more power. It worked good to a point, in some cases to much bass in a song would render the capacitor useless until a less heavy part of the song played.

It just did'nt seem to justify the cost. I want to make more power, rather then storing the limited power I already have (altho im sure ill look into this at some point).

The marquis is a big car, and I have big plans for it (pics soon :) ). I have found someone that will build me a custom alt, so i'm going to go that route, ill let you guys know how it turns out. :)
Old 12-15-2004, 02:53   #6 (permalink)
That guy

Biggest alt I have ever seen on any GM is a police alt for a Crown Vic, its 100 amp with external ruglator, you'll have to rewire it. If the other guy builds a good alt I want his name. May have a job for him for a tow truck I have, need a higher alt then is on it.

Old 12-23-2004, 03:55   #7 (permalink)

Your existing charger should be able to supply enough power, it's just storing it and the amp berng able to draw it quick enough when you need it. Maybe a second battery in the boot may help. I'm not an expert, rather than thinking out aloud so that I may help in some way, just ignore me if I'm not on the right track.
Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 22:02   #8 (permalink)

Just a little advice all crown Vics that are either police or have a rear defrosting window have a 100amp alt. Other than that the alt will be a 65amp.
amo4387622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:00   #9 (permalink)
That guy

My 87 has rear defrost and it came with a 65 amp internal regulator. I thought police only had the 100 amp cause the light bar and computers they used.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:18   #10 (permalink)

Ditto im on 65 amps with rear defrost :)

The stereo is in, and sadly it is diming my lights. It has gotton to the point that my head lights dim badly at night when I listen to songs with lots of bass. Both a good and a bad thing :)

It sounds damn good tho!, we are going to port the trunk and insolate it to make it sound better in the cab. I plan on going to comp. with it in april and breaking a record. I'm using one 10 inch sub in a custom box btw, don't want to give any specs yet cause half of this ain't going to be in the final set up for comp.

The alt will be ready soon, i'll let you guys know how that gose, the guy had a few problems with one of his current clients that he needed to resolve before starting on my alt. I told him i'd wait and he's supposed to be starting on it sometime tomorrow.

Mean while i'm going to get a better battery, check all the wiring in the car and fix my passenger side power window (won't go up without help sometimes).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71