How do I flush the radiator in a 1999 Grand Marquis? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 18:34   #1 (permalink)

How do I flush the radiator in a 1999 Grand Marquis?

I opened the radiator reservoir on a 1999 GM this afternoon to add some anti-freeze, and seen something that shocked me. It has what looks to be dark clay colored mud in the water/anti-freeze. The radiator reservoir's cap inside was corroded with a half an inch of some dirt/muck that is the same color. I had to scrape it off of the cap. There is some type of sediment floating on/in the water too. There is something wrong, what should be done to fix this? How do I flush this stuff out, is there any thing that needs to be done to make sure the radiator is open?
I've never seen this myself. I have a 2005 GM and I looked in my radiator reservoir and it's clear, with a green tint to it. My reservoir on the 2005 is white colored plastic, it was easier for light to pass through and made it easier to see. The 1999's reservoir is black colored plastic, so I cannot see inside at all, but what I can see, I don't like. Any help would be great, thanks for any insight.
GrandMarquis05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 02:42   #2 (permalink)

Re: How do I flush the radiator in a 1999 Grand Marquis?

I would have a compression test done before spending a dime or my time. You might have some motor damage or are in need of a new gasket.
ViMatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 19:00   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: How do I flush the radiator in a 1999 Grand Marquis?

That's common if the radiator and block are not flushed every 4-5 years.

It's probably time to also replace all hoses.

Remove the lower radiator hose to drain most of the coolant. Next, remove the thermostat housing and thermostat, but save the "O"ring. As dirty as the system is, you will need to use a radiator flush.

Reinstall the lower hose temporarily, pour the flush into the block and fill the block with tap water. Then temporarily install the thermostat housing using the old "O"ring. Start the engine and maintain the proper water level. Let the flush circulate per the instructions. Watch the engine temp in case you have air in the cooling system.

Now remove all hoses, including heater hoses and drain the block. I would also remove the expansion tank and clean it as well as possible.

Reinstall all hoses, but fill the block and tank with distilled water and coolant, or pre-mixed coolant, prior to installing the new thermostat and "O" ring. Carefully check the coolant level as the engine warms and the thermostat opens, and fill as necessary. Drive a short distance while monitoring the temp gauge, then recheck the coolant level.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71