How does driving a P71 affect the driving habits of those around you? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 22:43   #1 (permalink)

How does driving a P71 affect the driving habits of those around you?

I'm assuming people act differently if they think there's a cop car behind them. This might be good on a multilane freeway where they can pull out of your way, but it might also be a pain if you're on a long 1 lane road and they go 1 mph under the speed limit the whole way. Do the p71 owners out there notice any difference? Is it good or bad?

Also how do the p71s do on reliability. I'm assuming they've all had pretty tough lives but been well maintained and run well as long as you take care of them. Is that the consensus from the p71 community?

Thanks,
Broham
broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 10:02   #2 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Re: How does driving a P71 affect the driving habits of those around you?

If you keep it looking like an undercover unit (called "copped-out" or "whacker"), yes: it affects other drivers' behavior in the ways you mentioned. I had a '99 ex-CT state trooper car with tint, plain blue paint, & chrome wheel covers, and everyone thought I was a cop.

Not all of them are thrashed. Some jurisdictions sell their old cars based strictly on mileage - not condition. So it's possible to get a detective's car in nearly-new condition, but it boils down to you inspecting it before you buy it. If you want to know what condition the engine is in, do a compression test. If you want to know more, take an oil & ATF sample and send them off before you commit. The interors often have holes in the dash , but a junkyard dash from a regular car is cheap & easy to install (yeah, it takes some time).
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 17:48   #3 (permalink)

It is kinda fun to watch people's reactions to what they think is an unmarked car. Especially after I've just got a haircut and I'm wearing my aviator shades. Seems many people slow down a bunch...and then maybe pass me soon after they see the receiver hitch and the civilian tag on the back.

It depends on where you live but I'd bet most government agencies won't let you thoroughly test one of their cars, like do a compression check,etc. They just want to get rid of them "as-is". I bought an ex-probation officer's car from a state pool and all they would let me do was drive it up 15' or so and back. Just to confirm that it goes into gear and would move. Of course you can listen to it and check for leaks,etc. I sighed deeply and lucked out...got a good one. It's not a P71 (but has the deep tints) and I guess wasn't thrashed too bad for the first 121K. Now it's at 130K and runs like a top.
floater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 18:36   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Mine's painted all white like the City Police cars. It was a Sherrif car and black and white. I left the black grille and from the front it looks like a city car. I bought the aluminum wheels for it and removed the spotlight. I still get paople putting their seatbelts on and slowing down.

A great place to purchase a used Crown Vic is from the Oregon state sale. They make sure everything wrong is noted on the ebay site. If anything wrong that isn't noted they will rescind the sale. No Crown Vics today but almost every time I check, there's at least one there. Save the site and keep checking. Click on the left door for the vehicles.
This is the website: eBay Store - Oregon Surplus Property: Jewelry, Computers, Home Garden
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 20:58   #5 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
I left the black grille and from the front it looks like a city car. I bought the aluminum wheels for it and removed the spotlight. I still get paople putting their seatbelts on and slowing down.
Look at my '94 in my avatar. I wish I had a camera rolling all the time to show how many people think THAT POS is a cop car! It's 15 years old, no spotlight, no push bumper, no tint, no stickers, no lights (other than the cheapo driving lights in the bumper), no antennae, no light bar, no cage, no shotgun rack, no "Police Interceptor" badge, not a color used by ANY regional police force, normal front door trim strips, normal black B-pillars, Grand Marquis rims, veteran license plate (OK, it has a US flag), paint peeling off so fast it almost leaves a trail...

And people still stomp the brakes & swerve R when I approach. :D

Come to think of it, it could have SOMETHING to do with the way I drive...
Old 08-17-2009, 21:49   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

When I was working on the Police and Sherrif cars, I'd drive them to and from our shop 6 blocks away and sometimes people were oblivious to everything else and they'd run red lights and pull in front of cars, not even noticing the light bar and markings.
Old 08-18-2009, 21:50   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Look at my '94 in my avatar.
Still a decent looking ride. I kinda like that older body style a little better than the newer ones.

I'd like to know more about this line in your Supermotors write-up....

"Blew the engine during the change to synthetic oil..." ??
floater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:23   #8 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Engine seals that have been exposed to normal oil are known to seep for a while when first exposed to synthetic. I knew about that, but I didn't realize how MUCH they could seep, and I didn't check my oil level for ~1Kmi after changing. It ran dry, and the engine seized @~75mph. There's an album showing me tearing it down - look for something like "Engine Donor & Removal". The #1 rod bearing is pretty impressive, if I do say so myself!
Old 08-19-2009, 19:22   #9 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: How does driving a P71 affect the driving habits of those around you?

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on going to the "Great California Garage Sale" and seeing what they have there next Friday. Unfortunately i don't think you can test drive or do too much poking around. Prices are supposedly pretty cheap so if i get a turd I can always fix it up.
I'll keep you guys posted.
-Broham
broham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 20:36   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by broham View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on going to the "Great California Garage Sale" and seeing what they have there next Friday. Unfortunately i don't think you can test drive or do too much poking around. Prices are supposedly pretty cheap so if i get a turd I can always fix it up.
I'll keep you guys posted.
-Broham
I heard the same thing. I guess they are cutting the size of their fleets and will sell cheap as you stated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71