i have a question on an 86 ford ltd plz help!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 21:53   #1 (permalink)

Question i have a question on an 86 ford ltd plz help!!!!

ok i got the car from my dad and t was his old one he drove it for a few weeks and parked it at my cousin house and came to see us well its been sittin for 3 yrs and my dad sez all it need are a freeze plug and the bendix on the starter is stuck......now my question is.. do u hav to pull the motor to fix either one???? my dad and mom tell me that i need to junk it becuz ill put more into it than what its worth....but how can i do nething less than nothing which is what i got it for................................................................................................. .

PLZ HELP!!!

MY YAHOO AND MSN IS: Milky_in_ky14@yahoo.com

so if u have ne ideas or help let me know
Milkysltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 23:22   #2 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

Re: i have a question on an 86 ford ltd plz help!!!!

so.. drain the fuel and refill it.. new starter.. $50 at the wreckers ( try and get a reduction starter out of an EB2 onwards ) and prob an hour to install.
and whats a freeze plug???????? never heard of such a thing.. diesels have glow plugs
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 14:23   #3 (permalink)
Bum

Since it has been sitting for 3 years i would just get a starter at a junk yard. Pickup some starting fluid and see if it will run before you install new freeze plugs, let it run for a few minuates and cut it off so you dont burn it up. If the motor runs its worth putting freeze plugs in. Depends on the plugs that are poped, but you should be able to get one in without pulling the motor.
Old 07-24-2006, 21:31   #4 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

you can get to them all without pulling the motor,however, you might have to pull the tranny to get to the one on the rear of the engine.if the ones on the outside of the motor are good,then the one on the rear is good.Tell GTcoupe95 what a freeze plug is
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:37   #5 (permalink)
i'll never grow up

ok.. I only know them as welsh plugs.. must Be a US thing to call them freeze!!! Funny..

Oh and better disregard the starter comments i'm speaking re aussie cars, i didnt see i was in the American part of fordforums
95 Mustang GT 302: VQ-S2 Vortech - Edelbrock Intake - BBK 70mm TB - UPR Boostpipe - TwEECer - Walbro 255 & T-Rex fuel pump - MSD btm - Crane HI-6 - 36# injectors - Pro-m 80mm MAF - Kirban FPR - FMS 9mm leads - FMS 3.73 Gears - Transgo Shift kit - B&M cooler - Saleen guage pod, FMS Boost and FP guages - R/H drive - Eibach Springs - Holley headers, http://www.meales.com.au
gtcoupe95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 22:40   #6 (permalink)
Police Officer/Rescue Tec

Well in that case...uh.... no worries mate....I hope thats right. The reason for calling them "freeze"plugs is that they are primarily designed to push out instead of cracking the block when some body forgets to add antifreeze in winter in some of our colder climates.
ryoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 00:09   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoder
Well in that case...uh.... no worries mate....I hope thats right. The reason for calling them "freeze"plugs is that they are primarily designed to push out instead of cracking the block when some body forgets to add antifreeze in winter in some of our colder climates.
Thats the secondary reason , it mostly allows clearing of the blocks after casting .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71