Ignition problem. Car wont turn off! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 23:03   #1 (permalink)

Ignition problem. Car wont turn off!

1995 Crown vic
Ok so I replaced the ignition. Still would not kill the engine. Before I replaced it, the key was also rotating around. The plastic piece (or looks plastic) is broken that pulls that metal thing in the ignition wiring harness. That starts the car and kills it, ets. You cant see exactly were its broken, you can see the part that the metal rod goes in and then you can see a little bit closer to the steering wheel. Its seems broken in between those two places but I cant see it.

My main question is, what am I going to have to do to fix it. Right now I just have the box out and I am pushing the rod by hand to turn off and on the car. I was thinking since the car will start, but wont stop that I could make a kill switch, but no matter what I looked up and tried I could not think of something that would kill everything. I got a fuse to the fuel pump and distributer, but how would I rig a switch to that? Judging from the wiring diargram I found online there are 6 live wires i would have to kill out of the ignition harness to kill power. Thats alot. Any simpler way of a make shift kill switch to kill power completely while running? It would have to kill ALL power, radio etc, since the ignition doesn't shut off anything? Is there a switch I can buy that would kill all 6 lines? and could handle all that juice?

I guess second question would be about fixing that plastic looking rod all together. Could I pull it off myself? I managed to get the airbag off and the stering wheel off cause some idiot told me I had too. Found out that I didnt have to once I got a better look. So If I had to do that I could manage again. And the price of the part I would need?

Sorry, complete noob. Broke as hell and tired of it, so I started flipping cars. This is my third. Got it cheap, and it broke first day I had it lol. But very minimal mechanical knowledge having grown up with women. So sorry If i used wrong terminology And thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: It looked like the stering coloumn or some parts of it have been replaced before....
fellupahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 08:25   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Ignition problem. Car wont turn off!

The best way to fix it would be to get a steering problem that hasn't been hacked up. You should be able to get one for less than $100. Check here. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
Old 04-08-2012, 11:20   #3 (permalink)

But theres no way to replace that plastic looking rod that pulls the rod in the ignition wiring harness to the off position?
fellupahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:43   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There is but not knowing your abilities, I'd just replace the coulumn instead of trying to disassemble the column. You have to remove it anyway and a used column isn't that much. Trying to get the parts to repair it would be from a wrecking yard too. Probably cost a lot anyway.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:46   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

TascaParts.com
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71