I'm stumped - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 12:45   #1 (permalink)

cool I'm stumped

7/7/07
2001 Mercury GM "LSE" 31000 miles, with Automatic Temperature control.
Heater blower will not work at any speed. Had the Temperature Blend Actuator replaced under extended warranty in Feb 06.
About 6 months ago the blower started pulsing. It would slow down and speed up untill the engine was warm. Then it was pretty constant.
Yesterday it worked on the way to work -still pulsing- and would not even start to blow on the way home. I've checked all of the fuses both under the dash and under the hood. I tried giving the motor a light tap to see if it might start to run again. No luck. I tried setting the blower at every possible speed and tried the A/C and the heater but I get nothing at all. Before I pull the motor out is there any other way to check this problem. Will my OBD II give me a reading for a faulty relay ?
I know that if it only ran on high, it would be a resistor gone bad but this fan simply will not run at all. It's 110 degrees here in Phoenix and I really need the fan to run. I appreciate any suggestions.
Keats in Arizona
Keats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2007, 17:27   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: I'm stumped

The blower resistor can go bad altogether and make the blower not work at all. I have seen this. Best thing to do is get a test light and see if the blower motor has power first.

OBD codes will not reveal any problems with the system.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 17:41   #3 (permalink)

cool Re: I'm stumped

Thank you for the prompt reply.
Is that the resistor located behind the glove box that usually causes the fan to run on high only?
Thanks again,
Keats - Arizona
Old 07-07-2007, 18:41   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keats
Thank you for the prompt reply.
Is that the resistor located behind the glove box that usually causes the fan to run on high only?
Thanks again,
Keats - Arizona
On ATC systems, there is a blower motor power module instead of a conventional resistor block, to allow more available speeds. Just a guess, but I'd say near the blower motor on the R. side under the dash.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 22:16   #5 (permalink)

Thanks,
I'll check it out. Maybe that's why the blower was pulsing up and down. Maybe it was defective and not able to maintain a constant blower speed and finally died.
Keats Arizona
Old 07-15-2007, 12:33   #6 (permalink)

15 July 07
FYI. I found a site that showed how to replace the Blower Motor Control Module. It's mounted on the firewall under the hood in the phlenum box near the blower motor. Naturally it's very hard to get at and you have to remove heater hoses and wire harnesses etc. I think Ford installed it and then built the car around it.
I'm going to try to get it out this week. The new part is available on line for about $100.00 After doing a diagnostic on the diode on this unit, if it needs to be replaced I will have to buy another module and just replace it.
The site also said that the solder connection can crack and that would explain the intermittent fan speed and eventual complete breakdown. Maybe I can simply resolder it? Keeping fingers crossed.
Keats Arizona
Old 07-20-2007, 12:01   #7 (permalink)

The Mercury is fixed!!!!!!!

It took me about 2 hours and one cut finger to repair it. They were right, it was a real pain in the rear end to work on.
Minimal coolant loss. About 4 oz's. I topped off the system with anti-freeze .
The module was not bad. I did a continuity test of all the contacts and there was no problem. Hmmm?
I had the circuit board / diode out of the plastic housing and plugged it into the wire harness to the fan just to see if it would do anything.
Nothing. Bummer. The diode gets very hot so use caution when handling it.

So I said what the heck and I gave it a gentle tap with a plastic tool and the fan came on. Go figure.
Anyway, I put the circuit board back into the housing and tried it again. Nothing. Bummer again...
I wiggled the wire harness connector and sure enough, the fan started up again. I wiggled the harness again and it stopped. Apparently the whole problem was in the connector from the fan to this module. I reinstalled it into the firewall and tried it again. It worked. I then reinstalled everything else that I had to remove to get to it earlier such as, hoses, wires, vacuum tubes and some kind of emissions module. I tried it again and it still worked. So I topped off the radiator and drove it around the block. No fluid leaks and the fan kept blowing. At one point it stopped for a moment but when I ran the fan speed wheel on the dash up and down, it started right up again and will blow cold air like crazy. I think that if it stops again, I'll just wiggle the connector at the module on the firewall and it should run. Maybe it was dusty?
Anyway, it's working and I saved a ton of $$ by fixing it myself. A dealer quoted $355.00 to replace the module.
I thought it would take a lot longer to do but I guess I was lucky. The hardest part was getting the lower screw back into the module housing at the firewall. That took me about 1/2 hour. I kept dropping it. There's really no room to work. I finally decided to remove the top screw that I had already installed and put this one in first. That way I had more room to move the module around while holding the screw in place.
I hope that this helps someone elsethat might encounter this problem. I could have saved a lot of time and grief if I had wiggled the connector at the module first. Oh Well...
I have digital photos available if anyone needs to see what this repain entails.

Ford has a better idea!!! Yea, right......
Keats - Arizona
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keats View Post
The Mercury is fixed!!!!!!!

It took me about 2 hours and one cut finger to repair it. They were right, it was a real pain in the rear end to work on.
Minimal coolant loss. About 4 oz's. I topped off the system with anti-freeze .
The module was not bad. I did a continuity test of all the contacts and there was no problem. Hmmm?
I had the circuit board / diode out of the plastic housing and plugged it into the wire harness to the fan just to see if it would do anything.
Nothing. Bummer. The diode gets very hot so use caution when handling it.

So I said what the heck and I gave it a gentle tap with a plastic tool and the fan came on. Go figure.
Anyway, I put the circuit board back into the housing and tried it again. Nothing. Bummer again...
I wiggled the wire harness connector and sure enough, the fan started up again. I wiggled the harness again and it stopped. Apparently the whole problem was in the connector from the fan to this module. I reinstalled it into the firewall and tried it again. It worked. I then reinstalled everything else that I had to remove to get to it earlier such as, hoses, wires, vacuum tubes and some kind of emissions module. I tried it again and it still worked. So I topped off the radiator and drove it around the block. No fluid leaks and the fan kept blowing. At one point it stopped for a moment but when I ran the fan speed wheel on the dash up and down, it started right up again and will blow cold air like crazy. I think that if it stops again, I'll just wiggle the connector at the module on the firewall and it should run. Maybe it was dusty?
Anyway, it's working and I saved a ton of $$ by fixing it myself. A dealer quoted $355.00 to replace the module.
I thought it would take a lot longer to do but I guess I was lucky. The hardest part was getting the lower screw back into the module housing at the firewall. That took me about 1/2 hour. I kept dropping it. There's really no room to work. I finally decided to remove the top screw that I had already installed and put this one in first. That way I had more room to move the module around while holding the screw in place.
I hope that this helps someone elsethat might encounter this problem. I could have saved a lot of time and grief if I had wiggled the connector at the module first. Oh Well...
I have digital photos available if anyone needs to see what this repain entails.

Ford has a better idea!!! Yea, right......
Keats - Arizona
Keats,
I have the same problem and would appreciate a copy of your digital photos. Thanks in advance, FredNadel

Last edited by FredNadel; 12-16-2008 at 10:55. Reason: Correction
FredNadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71