Info on '82 LTDs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 17:18   #1 (permalink)

Info on '82 LTDs

My stepson and us got his '82 LTD last month and we've been doing some work on it. Got the little 302 to run pretty good for under $150 worth of parts including the stereo. Cut out the skinny little exhaust pipes and bolted a pair of cheap glasspacks on it (I know - his choice) and reset the timing from 10 ATDC back to 8 BTDC. Car runs really good now. Got a 10.5 sec. (self timed) 0-60 time last night, and we still have a new carb to install. (Getting rid of the variable venturi) My questions are - Is there anywhere that has specs on this car (curb weight, stock horse power, maybe even test drive results)? And are there any headers that will fit? Maybe just shortys? (I'd rather have full length headers but I'll take them if no other choice.)

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 22:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: Info on '82 LTDs

You can run Mustang shorty headers. Unfortunately, there are currently no longtubes in production for our vehicles, although several of us are attempting to push manufacturers into designing some!

You should be looking at ~3,800 pounds. Stock horsepower should be around 125-130. Test drive came back as SLOW. ha!

Not sure on where you can find that specific information, to be honest with you, but I'll see if I can pull a few things together and let you know. Good luck- it's always nice to have a new Panther owner join up!!

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 22:52   #3 (permalink)

You can run Mustang shorty headers and a Mustang H-pipe. I'd recommend a stainless steel piece, if you can. I went with aluminized steel a year and a half ago and I'm already replacing everything (and I don't even see any road salt or anything of the sort) because it's rotting through. Find some good stainless steel mufflers (get a baffled design, NOT straight-through) and bring it all to a muffler shop, to have them install everything into place. Be sure they put flanges to match the H-pipe and don't weld the H-pipe into place (dropping the H will come into handy if you need to drop teh transmission for anything).

If you can, run ALL 2.25" equipment. 2.25" collectors on the headers (stock Mustang headers are a great option and can be had for cheap, if not free), 2.25" inlet/outlet on catalytic converters, and 2.25" inlet/outlet on the mufflers. That'll help build the low-end torque you'll need to get that beast moving. I went with 2.5" and lost out on a lot of power. By the time the bigger exhaust would have been able to make a difference, I was already beyond the power band of the motor.

Good luck and keep us posted on that thing!!

My Garage
Old 05-10-2006, 05:28   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Freshmeat. I thought as much on the Mustang headers but wanted to ask since I'm not as familiar with Fords as other cars. And thanks for the heads up on the backpressure. I've run into the same think with other engines I've built.

3800lbs? That's all? That's what my '81 Cutlass weighed with the v6 and c-channel frame. Our LTD had a full boxed frame.
Old 05-10-2006, 19:31   #5 (permalink)

That's why we're here!! Check out this thread when you get a chance- I've been talking to him about exhaust on his 5.4 Expedition and went into pretty solid detail. You could apply the information to your car, as well.
Single vs. Dual Exhaust

Again, good luck and keep us posted!

My Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71