Installing CB Radio - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2006, 12:56   #1 (permalink)

Installing CB Radio

I'm not much of an electrician myself but i can manage to install things with a little bit of help.

I just pulled my CB Radio out of my other vehicle to put it in my new 2000 CVPI, however, i'm not quite sure how to install it in my new car.

I'm not sure if its possible or not, but if it was i would like to have the radio be able to turn on with the ignition instead of its own power switch.
The power switch is doubled as the volume control.

The radio itself has 3 wires to connect to the vehicle, one black (grounding wire, i know :) ) and 2 other wires one red and one orange.

Can anyone give me a tip?

Thanks.
jwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 14:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: Installing CB Radio

As you said, the black is obviously ground. Red is most likely where you want to put your +12VDC. The orange maybe something for the lights so they dim when you turn your headlights on. I don't know, but that's a possibility. As for connecting it up so that it comes on with the ignition, the easiest way to do that is to take the fuse panel/bottom of the steering column cover off. Then, using a voltmeter or test light, connect one end to a decent ground, and search around until you find something that only has power on it when the key is on.

Unless your unit is really high powered, you probably don't need to worry too much about blowing the fuses in whatever circuit you connect it to. At the same time, if you connect it to something and it blows the fuse, you'll obviously know that you need to try something else.

For mine, I just poked around in there until I found something convenient and used it. It seems to work fine. One thing to watch for that could be handy is connectors that have nothing connected to them, like for an option that isn't on the car. They may have power on them when the key is on, and in that case, it will be really easy.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I hope it's of some help to you.

Nathan in MN (now in MI for college)
Nathan in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 18:00   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheeler
I'm not much of an electrician myself but i can manage to install things with a little bit of help.

I just pulled my CB Radio out of my other vehicle to put it in my new 2000 CVPI, however, i'm not quite sure how to install it in my new car.

I'm not sure if its possible or not, but if it was i would like to have the radio be able to turn on with the ignition instead of its own power switch.
The power switch is doubled as the volume control.

The radio itself has 3 wires to connect to the vehicle, one black (grounding wire, i know :) ) and 2 other wires one red and one orange.

Can anyone give me a tip?

Thanks.
Idealy you should connect the radio directly to the battery by a suitable filter and relay on the B+ , operate the relay from the ignition switch on accessory and spiro's your uncle :)
if you cant purchase a filter get back and you can make one easily ( google for it) for a couple of bucks.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 00:03   #4 (permalink)

I think i can manage that :)

i do wonder though if theres any connections for it available on the extra police package wiring harness' or power boxes.
Old 09-02-2006, 14:12   #5 (permalink)

you should check with the radios' manufacturer regarding the wiring, traditionally orange is a constant hot for memory but don't go by what i say! find out for sure or you'll be reading the instructions that come with your new radio after you fry this one... what kind of radio is it, model number? should be easy to find out. you do know about tuning in the SWR, right?
tinman351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:07   #6 (permalink)

My CB is Cobra 18WXSTII

and if by SWR, you mean the squelch, then yes, sorta...

I'm fairly new at all this
Old 09-03-2006, 13:27   #7 (permalink)

The diagram in the manual shows how to install the radio but it doesnt make 100% sence to me.

Theres a big picture of a 'Fuse Box' and a bar equaling the Chassis.

it shows both the +Red and +Orange going into the fuse box and the black going to the Chassis.
It says to connect the red lead of DC power cord to an accesory 12V fuse
then connect the orange lead to a constant 12V fuse (ie. Cigarette lighter or direct to battery)
then obviously connect the black ground.

So I guess my next couple of questions are, since i dont smoke, if i disconnected the cigarette lighter and attached the orange wire to the orange wire coming out of the lighter (assuming there is one, i havent looked) then that part should be done.

Then where would i connect the Red wire, and if you say, to the fuse box, i ask, how?

And, would that allow the radio to start up with the ignition, or would that cause me to have to remember to turn it on and off all the time? :)

Thanks
Old 09-04-2006, 12:00   #8 (permalink)

In that case, it sounds like tinman351 was right about the orange wire having power on it constantly for memory or the like. This will NOT mean that you have to turn the radio off every time you shut the car off.

As far as connecting it to the fuse panel, that could get a little bit difficult since you'll probably have to dismount it. It can be done, but the wires hooked up to the back of it are usually pretty short, so it may be difficult to get behind it very much.

Assuming you can get at the back of it, you'll have to see how the wires hook up to it. There may be an unused fuse socket that you can use, which should make it easier. Just go to the auto parts store and buy one of those little packages of car fuses, hook it all up and go.

If my advice seems a little vague, it's only because I haven't actually seen the car, so it's hard to get very specific. Hope this is still of some help.

Nathan in MN (now in MI for college)
Old 09-04-2006, 12:03   #9 (permalink)

One more thing, SWR is standing wave ratio and has to do with tuning the antenna. If you bought your antenna the instructions should tell you about how to tune it for maximum performance.
Old 09-04-2006, 18:08   #10 (permalink)

i dont have to worry about the color of the wire though do i? if its the same width and it has the right power to it? or.....i'm not sure haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71