Intake manifold gaskets - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 10:30   #1 (permalink)

Intake manifold gaskets

Hey,

Im trying to get some instructions on how to replace the intake manifold gaskets on a 99 crown vic, my problem is theres coolant leaking onto three of my spark plugs cylinders 5,6,7. I recently got a misfire of cyl 5, and random misfire. I checked the plugs on those and could tell do to the coolant those plugs weren't getting a very good spark. The right side of the engine 1,2,3,4 and #8 on the left side were all clean and dry.

Sorry for the lenght.
99CVPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 13:51   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Intake manifold gaskets

Your library might have a Chilton's or Haynes manual to refer to. It's not a real hard job to do. It wouldn't hurt to get one of your own. You have to remove the wper arm and motor assy and quite a bit more. My Ford manual shows 42 different steps just to remove it.
Old 05-14-2010, 20:49   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, what brand manifold is best to get. I've had people suggest one from a junk yard, which I'd rather not do. However I can across one on car parts wholesale that was suprisingly cheap compared to the Dorman it was a RC brand. Any info on that brand?
Old 05-14-2010, 21:01   #4 (permalink)

I just did mine a couple months ago, its a pretty simple and straight-forward job. You pretty much remove a bunch of stuff (fuel rail, injectors, throttle body, EGR, alternator, thermostat, various brackets, and probably more that I am forgetting to list), and remember where it goes so you can put it all back.

I did mine without removing the wiper assembly, but if I had to do it again I think I might. If you choose not to remove the wiper assembly, you are going to want to have a swivel/u-joint attachment for a ratchet so that you can get at the bolts at the back of the manifold.

My repair manual shows you removing the throttle body, intake plenum and egr in one piece, but in my case the egr tube was seized in place to the point that I decided to unbolt the egr from the intake plenum rather than break the tube, but that meant that I had to make a run to the parts store for a new egr gasket. So you may want to prepare for that.

I am not a mechanic nor had I ever done this before, and working with hand tools it took me ~4 hours, not including the run to the parts store.

here is a pretty good write-up:
Ford Crown Victoria Intake Manifold Replacement Pictures

I have never heard of RC brand, but that doesn't mean anything. I used the Dorman unit and it fit perfectly.

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS ~89,000mi, Willow Green inside and out. It's very green.
1998 Chevrolet Malibu Base V6 187,000mi (sold)
BigMerc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 21:12   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I would use a Dorman or OE manifold. RockAuto has Dormans as well as several other places. Even ebay.
Old 05-14-2010, 21:19   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Do a search for Dorman Intake Manifold 615 178, and you'll find it from $182 and up.
Old 05-15-2010, 14:44   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, that link with the pictures looks to be a huge help as well as the manifold info.

After taking a hard look at it this morning it appears the source of my coolant leak is coming from the thermostat housing area every where else seems pretty dry and clean and it doesn't appear that I have a large leak, reservior still pretty full, no large stains on the ground. Could this be fixed by simply replacing all the gaskets and seals or should I get a new manifold unit?
Old 05-15-2010, 16:35   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If yours has the plastic front and leaking there, I'd replace the manifold. There's a good chance there's a crack in the plastic at the thermostat area.
Old 05-15-2010, 16:45   #9 (permalink)

Given the two types of manifolds I've seen the earlier ones with out the aluminum crossover in the front of the manifold and the later ones with it.

Mines does have the aluminum crossover at the front, similar to the newer Dorman brand that was suggested to get...and in just that area am I seeing a visual leak. It seems like it may leak more under high pressure though.
Old 05-15-2010, 17:07   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Then you're all set. If you could get it pressure checked an see exactly where the leak is,you could jut do what's neccessary. Maybe even the hose or thermostat O'ring.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71