Intermittent no-start: 2000 CV - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71 Forum for discussion of the Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Marauder, Mercury Grand Marquis and P71.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 20:37   #1 (permalink)

Intermittent no-start: 2000 CV

Looks like I have an intermittent no-start problem with my '00 CV. Today, I drove about 7 miles across town, stopped and got gas...and then it wouldn't start. Turned over fine, strong battery. It did the same thing about 3 weeks ago....drove the same distance (to the same place) and then it wouldn't start. But at that time I waited 30 minutes....and then it started. I had it scanned but it showed no codes and there was no CEL and had no further problems until today.

This time, I waited the same 30 minutes but it wouldn't start. Tried a couple more times within an hour before I called for a tow home. It did try to start a couple times, but sputtered out. It sat another 1 1/2 hours before I got it home and I tried it again but no luck.

I kinda figured it would start after it sat awhile though...and it just did! (after sitting 6 hours).

Seems like maybe it's temp related, but it hasn't been running hot at all...today it was 25 deg. and the time before it was in the 40's.

Thoughts rtq143?

(This is very similar to the '98GM's problem but I thought I'd do another thread)
floater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Intermittent no-start: 2000 CV

Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds when the key is turned to run not start? You should be able to hear the pump run when the key is turned on. If not, the fuel pump or circuit has a problem. Post back if not. Have you checked the inertia switch in the trunk?
Old 01-13-2010, 09:26   #3 (permalink)

When it failed to start, I was at a busy gas island and couldn't hear well. At the time, I was thinking the fuel pressure would be up and wouldn't bleed off right away, so I wouldn't hear the pump. When it tried to start briefly, it did sputter and act like it was not getting fuel.

I did check the ASD relay and it was not popped up. And of course it did start later in the evening after I got it home. Haven't checked today...I kinda don't want to drive it and have it not start again somewhere.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:00   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You'd hear the pump run even if there was no gas in it. Running them low on fuel a lot is tough on the fuel pump, especially when the weather is hot.
Old 01-13-2010, 14:19   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
You'd hear the pump run even if there was no gas in it.
True, but it had plenty of gas as it only took 6 galls. to fill. I never let it get below a half-tank, especially in cold weather. It's been down to -8 here lately, so I've kept it pretty full.

When you re-start after a brief shutdown, wouldn't the pressure remain up in that short time because of a check valve? So you would have enough gas to at least fire it up? I guess as I tried it several times, it would go down and the pump then would run...but I couldn't really tell because of all the noise around me. At that point, it would have helped if I had known to check for pressure at the shrader valve on the rail, as you said. It was cold out so, I just called a tow truck.

Guess I'll drive it occasionally (but always return home) to see how it's going to act here in the near future. When the weather warms up, I'm going to check all the connections and re-seat the relays.

This car has run great for the past year-and-a-half and 10K, and I really like it, so I hope it will behave. I used to work in electronics and do know that intermittent problems can be a real headache. My old '91 Dodge van with a 318 has started and run fine in this deep freeze and I'm glad I have it as a backup...
Old 01-13-2010, 16:43   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

When you get to the bottom of it, post back to let us know the outcome. You can tap the bottom of the fuel tank while someone cranks it if the pump won't run when the key is turned on. That will usually get it running for awhile. It works well on Ford and GM, but on Chrysler products, you usually can't go very far. We had one that I followed the other technician and in 2 miles to the shop, I had to hit the tank 5 times.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:55   #7 (permalink)

If it's the pump, any advice on a good replacement? Are Bosch or Airtex any good compared to OEM?
Old 01-19-2010, 18:55   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I've never used anything but OEM. Some friends have gotten pumps from Napa nad a year and 2 months later, it went out. They only had a year warranty. Not sure of the quality of Bosch. They might be good. They make stuff for MBZ and BMW but I've never had luck with their spark plugs.
Old 01-19-2010, 21:17   #9 (permalink)

That would not be good, having to replace the thing every year or two. I do notice Bosch offers a lifetime warranty on their pump and it's about $200. What does a dealer charge? And what kind of warranty?

On the Dodge van forum I visit, they advise cutting an access hole in the floor after you've dropped the tank, so if you have to replace a cheap pump it would make it a lot easier the next time. Probably can't do that on a CV, huh?
Old 01-19-2010, 21:41   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Crown Vics have the tank in front, behind the diff. I've cabged them without dropping the tank. If Bosch has that kind of warranty, it might be a good one to use. The dealers charge around $350 I think. I haven't worked at a dealer.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Crown Victoria | Mercury Marauder | Grand Marquis | P71